Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Photos from Clarkson QF 1 are up

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Photos from Clarkson QF 1 are up
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2004 05:00PM

Have at 'em.

Re: Photos from Clarkson QF 1 are up
Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2004 05:34PM

Did anyone else notice that during the Saturday and Sunday night games (after Nickerson’s beat down) many of the Clarkson players did not have their fight straps attached? IIRC, this is a minor penalty in the NHL ... does anyone know if that rule holds for the NCAA's? My thought is since fighting is not legal in college the rule does not apply but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thoughts ... ?

Posted by: crodger1 (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn)
Date: March 26, 2004 08:08AM

For fun I just read the NCAA rules equipment section. There was no mention of the fight strap in the equipment requirements.

Also amusing... "Jewelry shall not be worn, except for religious or medical medals, which shall be taped to the body under the uniform." (3-4, Section 5b) Watching the Maine-UMass game on TV, it didn't look like Howard's shell necklace was taped down and it didn't seem either religious or medical... can we challenge all his games? ;-)

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 03:00PM

similar rule here in NJ high school hockey which is enforced..."inconsistently"! rolleyes

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2004 03:18PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

similar rule here in NJ high school hockey which is enforced..."inconsistently"! [/Q]

So my club lax team had a game at Mitchell College yesterday. They are a NJCAA team so they have a coach, and had a scorer's table and real NJCAA officials at the game.

At one point, Mitchell got whistled for a procedural violation for having a guy play the ball without having his mouthpiece in. Meanwhile, the officials didn't seem to notice that we had 2 guys playing without any shoulder pads.... :-P

Re: mouthpiece rule
Posted by: RichS (167.206.158.---)
Date: March 29, 2004 04:43PM

Speaking of mouthpieces, I was covering a state HS hockey playoff game a few weeks ago and asked one of the coaches why one of his top players suddenly was assessed a ten minute misconduct in the face off circle early in the third period of a one goal game. The player had not appeared to have said or done anything objectionable towards the ref.

Turns out that the penalty was for wearing a mouth piece that was not connected to the bars of his cage as required by rule. According to the coach, the kid had used that mouthpiece all year and had never been penalized. I asked him if the ref had warned the kid earlier in the game. "Nope".

Well okay, you can jump on the coach for taking an unncessary chance by knowingly allowing the kid to play with illegal equipment but how can a ref in all fairness make that call without at least a warning in a tight state playoff game?

Sounds to me like the official is "qualified" to become an ECAC ref!

:-D

Posted by: ben03 (198.16.0.---)
Date: March 29, 2004 04:52PM

IMO, there should not have to be a warning by an official. The rules are known to all and players should know them so that exact situation does not occur. I think the burden falls on the coach and the player, to know the rules and follow them accordingly.

And RichS ... c'mon ECAC refs are far more "qualified" than this guy they even get to make up their own penalties ... nut :-P ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2004 04:54PM by ben03.

Posted by: RichS (167.206.158.---)
Date: March 29, 2004 05:13PM

Ben,

In the strictest sense I agree with you about responsibility, and if the call had been made on a team I had been coaching against, I certainly would have accepted it.

However, as a practical matter, I've seen HS refs issue a warning to kids about all sorts of infractions related to physical fouls, bad language, the wearing of jewelry, and others BEFORE calling a penalty. Especially if a misconduct will be the result. In this case, I think it's a case of "over-officiating" to make the call without first having warned the kid.

Of course, this coach has a well-deserved reputation as a "whiner" so I wasn't exactly feeling bad for him. ;-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2004 05:47PM

The mouthpiece stories remind me of Rob Gemmel '79. Robbie was missing his four front teeth already and saw no point in using a mouthpiece, but was required by the ECAC to have one. He used to play with one side of his mouthpiece tucked into his cheek and the other sticking backward outside his mouth. Completely non-functional, but he did have a mouthpiece.

I also remember that a friend of mine who was one of the assistant trainers at the time said they were instructed that if it looked like they were checking for mouthpieces, he should toss one on the ice near the bench. Since masks or cages weren't used then, the player could claim it fell out. I suppose that doesn't work any more with the cage helmets.

JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login