Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2004 - 2005 CU Schedule

Posted by Jim Hyla 
2004 - 2005 CU Schedule
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:14PM

For those who plan ahead, here's the ECAC portion of CU's schedule for next year, 2004-2005. Sue Detzer sent it to me and the ECAC states it's good as written (by them, not if I transposed anythingnut ). We still need what out of conference games there will be.

I have a copy of the full (all teams) ECAC schedule. If anyone wants it I can email it, or if everyone wants it I could post it, but it didn't seem necessary.
The	2004-2005	CU Schedule
Fri	Oct 22,04	 ?
Sat	Oct 23,04	 Ex?
Fri	Oct 29,04	 OOC?
Sat	Oct 30,04	 OOC?
Fri	Nov 5,04	 Harvard
Sat	Nov 5,04	 Brown
Fri	Nov 12,04	 OOC?
Sat	Nov 13,04	 OOC?
Fri	Nov 19,04	 @Vermont
Sat	Nov 20,04	 @Dartmouth
Sat	Nov 27,04	 OOC?
Fri	Dec 3,04	 Yale
Sat	Dec 4,04	 Princeton
?	?	 Florida?
Fri	Jan 7,05	 @Brown
Sat	Jan 8,05	 @Harvard
Fri	Jan 14,05	 @Union
Sat	Jan 15,05	 @RPI
Fri	Jan 21,05	 Dartmouth
Sat	Jan 22,05	 Vermont
Fri	Jan 28,05	 Clarkson
Sat	Jan 29,05	 St. Lawrence
Fri	Feb 4,05	 OOC?
Sat	Feb 5,05	 OOC?
Fri	Feb 11,05	 @Princeton
Sat	Feb 12,05	 @Yale
Fri	Feb 18,05	 RPI
Sat	Feb 19,05	 Union
Fri	Feb 25,05	 @St. Lawrence
Sat	Feb 26,05	 @Clarkson
Fri	Mar 4,05	 ECAC
Sat	Mar 5,05	 ECAC
Fri	Mar 11,05	 ECAC
Sat	Mar 12,05	 ECAC
Fri	Mar 18,05	 ECAC
Sat	Mar 19,05	 ECAC
Fri	Mar 25,05	 NCAA
Sun	Mar 27,05	 NCAA
Thur	Apr 7,05	 NCAA
Sat	Apr 9,05	 NCAA

OOC = Out of Conference
Here's hoping I did it right.

Re: 2004 - 2005 CU Schedule
Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:56PM

I can't decide if opening the conference schedule is a good thing or not. I know that I can't wait for the Harvard game every year, but I still feel like there isn't enough in-season buildup.

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:07PM

u know the hahvahd game is finally on a saturday and it is, of course, during my intern year - guess i wont be going to that game (probably not many games :))

are there any teams from this year OOC who CU did not play last year? that is usually the way to figure out the OOC games since CU usually trades and says " we will play in your barn this year, you come to our barn next year"

ohio state

bgsu

mercyhurst

WMUx2

plus US U18 ex

plus notre dame in florida

Post Edited (11-20-03 23:19)

Non-conf game speculation
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:22PM

I heard a rumor at some point we were supposed to be in a three year rotation with BU: away, home, off. If true (pleasepleaseplease) we should have a pair in Boston, possibly even the last games at WBA. (Hey, if I were Parker, I'd want to do something special like a Cornell series for the Walter Brown finale.)

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:25PM

last year

at Ohio State NC

BU NC
BU NC

at Western Michigan NC
at Western Michigan 1ot

vs Maine NC: Everblades Classic, Estero
vs Ohio State NC: Everblades Classic, Estero

ok so since CU played 2 at BU 2 years ago that is "satisfied"

WMU was satisfied this year (i dont think CU played them in 2001 - CU didnt)

maine and OSU were florida

OSU is satisfied this year

SO, it looks like cornell may have @ mercyhurst and @ BGSU plus a tourney which totals 4 games -> 3 games open for new OOC unless cornell did a 2-1 like some other *cough* teams do

any ideas?

Posted by: Dave (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:35AM

FYI... 2 of those OOC spots should be Colgate and @Colgate, cause the current version doesn't have them listed... unless of course they're pullin some secret conference swtich no one knows about. nut

Harvard as the first ECAC home game seems like a bad idea to me... gotta have that game later in the season when it can be very pivotal... I know attendance will never be a problem, but you gotta have it generate some excitement.

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:47AM

I'm guessing the ones in early february would be colgate and @colgate. How many NC games have we ever played in early Feb?

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:53AM

Dave wrote:
Harvard as the first ECAC home game seems like a bad idea to me... gotta have that game later in the season when it can be very pivotal... I know attendance will never be a problem, but you gotta have it generate some excitement.

They've done that several times in the past, and I've always liked to think that Harvard tries to make it that way in order to curb that excitement, and also to get that trip to Lynah out of the way...given our um..."hospitality." Looking back through the last 10 years, the Harvard-Brown @ Lynah weekend has been the first ECAC home games in '94, '96, '98, '00, and '01 (being a result of the odd-even alternating home-away scheduling).

One plus of this scheduling is that it's pretty likely to get a football weekend for all the out-of-towners coming in as a bonus. (Well, it used to be a bonus.) Many Faithful use that weekend as another Homecoming (see other thread). Anyway, the last time that Cornell hadn't played a game vs. Harvard by Thanksgiving was 1993.

Post Edited (11-21-03 00:55)

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 01:43AM

damn it; why does the Harvard away game have to be over winter break again? :-(

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 01:50AM

With Harvard's exam schedule we almost have to play them during the Fall semester. Since there are basically three pre-Thanksgiving weekends and one post it'll usually be pre-Thanksgiving.

Avash - would you rather the home Harvard game be in January?

Posted by: Section A (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:34AM

>>Avash - would you rather the home Harvard game be in January?

No, of course not. I was just looking forward to making the road trip like I did last year, that's all. Not as likely it will work now, since southwest Ohio is a little further away from Boston than Ithaca :-).....but you're right. It's better that it's the away game that's over break, and not the home game. I remember when THIS season's schedule came out, a lot of people thought that, since the away game is over break this year, it would be the home game that would be over break next year.

As for the OOC games, I really hope we get a team like New Hampshire or one of the big WCHA schools (Minnesota, North Dakota, even St. Cloud maybe...) to come to Lynah, if not next year, then at least in the near future. Anyone think that's remotely possible?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:52AM

Rich H '96 wrote:
Many Faithful use that weekend as another Homecoming (see other thread). )

Wait. You mean the Harvard @ Lynah weekend *isn't* homecoming? I'm confused... ;-)

Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:13PM

[Q]Author: Avash '05

As for the OOC games, I really hope we get a team like New Hampshire or one of the big WCHA schools (Minnesota, North Dakota, even St. Cloud maybe...) to come to Lynah, if not next year, then at least in the near future. Anyone think that's remotely possible?
[/Q]

I agree with Avash, it would be GREAT to see one of the perenial WCHA powerhouses come into Lynah for a game. Other good OOC schools to consider would be UNH or BC, or if you're looking 2nd tier, how about Merrimack College or UMass (ok, so UMass is doing very well this year)? Hockey East has some potential for good OOC matchups.

Post Edited (11-21-03 12:16)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:35PM

Aside from anything else, it's tough to get the WCHA teams to come out for one game since they play mostly weekend sets. A Cornell-Colgate pairing is always possible though. Not that I'd have a problem with a game set at Lynah with NoDak or St. Cloud - I'm just clarifying.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:36PM

Dan '01 wrote:

I agree with Avash, it would be GREAT to see one of the perenial WCHA powerhouses come into Lynah for a game. Other good OOC schools to consider would be UNH or BC, or if you're looking 2nd tier, how about Merrimack College or UMass (ok, so UMass is doing very well this year)? Hockey East has some potential for good OOC matchups.

Michigan would be good as well. And let's get Maine back to Lynah, even if we play them nearly every year in Estero.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.49.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:49PM

Does anyone know the arrangement with the Everblades tournament? Is Cornell committed to that tournament for the foreseeable future?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 08:44PM

Cornell is one of 3 "co-hosts," and the building is owned by a Cornell alumnus.

For several seasons in the early 80's, Fish & Fowl was played on the Friday that classes ended for the Fall semester. This led to some very interesting parties ("parties" being a loose term for "riots";), and they stopped doing it.

The game should never be the home opener -- that takes two special dates and wastes one. It might be interesting for it to be the RS finale, though.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:19PM

my ooc games unspoken for did account for the unclaimed colgate series weekend. so i think we have 3 ooc games unclaimed. michigan would be nice so we can teach them some new cheers if any fans come.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2003 11:04PM

2 new tidbits to chew on for the schedule for next year

1. from the tosu-cornell recap 2nite:
"With Ohio State not returning next year, there will be two new teams in the fifth Everblades College Classic. Boston College and St. Cloud State will join Cornell and Maine "

-so maine, bc, scsu will be in florida

2. the vermont application for HE will make scheduling interesting if it goes thru... twitch

Vermont impact
Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.new-york-10rh15rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 29, 2003 10:01AM

If Vermont were to jump by next year (I know the application is real, but who knows how soon it could be acted upon) it probably wouldn't mess things up that much if the ECAC could find another team to join up by next season. I suppose it would muck up Dartmouth and Harvard or whoever is affected by changed travel partnerships. But they could probably keep the general structure. The real wackiness would be if the league couldn't or didn't choose a replacement immediately. If that happened then if nothing else the entire playoff structure would have to be revisited...

Pure post-holiday speculation.

Re: Vermont impact
Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.77.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2003 11:41AM

In an 11 team league, the top five would get byes. The bottom six would play the first round. The three winning teams go on to join the top five leaving eight teams for the quarterfinal round. I suspect this would be easier than trying to add a team to the league in the next six months. Beyond the travel partner considerations, the schedules would have to take things like exams.

I suspect that Vermont will not be in Hockey East next season. I doubt the application could be approved by the end of the season - unless serious private discussions have already been going on. HE currently plays each other team in the league 3 times for a 24 game schedule. They have to decide to either play a 27 game schedule or cut back to two games apiece or 18 games. Going to 27 games will be tricky - but not impossible - if they have solid commitments for out of conference games. Cutting to 18 means adding many out of conference games which would also be tricky to do in the next six months.

Does anyone know/remember how much notice there was that Army was leaving the ECAC?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: December 29, 2003 03:16PM

Army was always three steps towards the door-- they rejoined the ECAC starting in 1984-85, and their first two seasons they only played 11 league games. So, they only played 5 22-game ECAC seasons. Surprisingly, they only finished last during one of them -- Brown and Dartmouth has some trly horrible teams back then.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.new-york-10rh16rt-11rh15rt.ny.dial-access.att.n)
Date: December 29, 2003 06:08PM

I hadn't considered your 11 team playoff scenario. It sounds good though and they'd probably do something like that. Because doing something logical like having the bottom team(s) miss the playoffs would be too much to ask. :-P

I also think you're right that Vermont won't make it to HE by next year (if they eventually do). Anyway, does 3 teams against each opponent really lend itself to a travel partner scheme? I suppose you could use partners for the 1 game at one opponent and then use a weekend set (or home and home) for the other two. It would be interesting to see what Bertagna and Co. would do.

Date: December 29, 2003 07:46PM

If HE expands they could go to an unbalanced schedule with a north and south region, with UNH and Maine controlling one and BU and BC rolling through the other. Or, if UNH and Maine didn't want to diminish their Boston footprint, they could rotate teams between two non-geographical groups. 3 vs teams in your group and 2 vs teams in the other group would work -- for a 10 team league that works out to a 12+10=22 game RS. BU and BC can always schedule each other NC to make up any lost date.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2003 09:20PM

Given the large number of problems concerning scheduling in going from a nine-team conference to a ten-team conference, I'd imagine Vermont won't be admitted until two other acceptable teams also submit applications to join Hockey East. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if two or more other D-I programs, likely Atlantic Hockey teams, submitted applications before Frozen Four '04. I believe Hockey East is only interested in expanding directly from nine to twelve teams, in order to maintain a balanced schedule (they'd probably go to a travel partner system like the ECAC does now). At the same time, the ECAC will pick up at least one more program to maintain its twelve-team structure, which will likely be an Atlantic Hockey program as well. I guess what I'm predicting right now is the ultimate demise of the Atlantic Hockey Association, and it's all thanks to the University of Vermont. :-P

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 06:50AM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:

Given the large number of problems concerning scheduling in going from a nine-team conference to a ten-team conference, I'd imagine Vermont won't be admitted until two other acceptable teams also submit applications to join Hockey East.
Hmm. I had always assumed that places like Vermont don't lead with their chins. Vermont almost certainly had plenty of informal talks with HE prior to submitting an official application letter. Especially since it knew that letter would be released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if either Vermont has been talking to HE for years.

Date: December 30, 2003 09:03AM

Atlantic Hockey:

Holy Cross (Worcester)
Quinnipiac (Hamden, CT)
Sacred Heart (Fairfield, CT)
Mercyhurst (Erie)
UConn (Storrs)
Canisius (Buffalo)
Army (West Point)
American Intl (Springfield)
Bentley (Waltham, MA)

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: December 30, 2003 10:00AM

Bill '94 wrote:
Does anyone know/remember how much notice there was that Army was leaving the ECAC?

In November of 1990, Army announced that they were going independent starting the following season (1991-92). Although not totally unexpected, I got the feeling at the time that the announcement was a bit of a surprise. On the other hand, Union was on board as Army's replacement by the end of January '91.

Date: December 30, 2003 10:12AM

[Q]If you lead a good life, go to Sunday school and church, and say your prayers every night, when you die, you'll go to LYNAH![/Q]So throwing fish is enough to get you cast from heaven?

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 11:52AM

Vermont has a new AD, new president and new coach ... all since just this past summer.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.3.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 12:44PM

Do you remember if Union had already decided to jump to Div. 1 prior to Army's departure?

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 02:16PM

New sheep, too?

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2003 02:25PM

... i think you mean elephants laugh ;-) laugh

Date: December 30, 2003 02:26PM

Adam Wodon wrote:

Vermont has a new AD, new president and new coach ... all since just this past summer.
Interesting. Would it be unsporting to edit my post to say "months" instead of "years"? (And to take out the vestigial "either" from a previous draft.)

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: December 30, 2003 03:17PM

Bill '94 wrote:

Do you remember if Union had already decided to jump to Div. 1 prior to Army's departure?

I don't believe so. I recall hearing about some concern among the Union faculty/administration about moving the program to Div. I -- there were worries that the hockey program would "take over" and grow out of the school's control, like certain Div. I football and basketball programs. (Some of those involved were clearly remembering Ned Harkness' tenure at Union in the mid-70's, which saw the Dutchmen make huge strides at the Div. II level but which ended badly, with a bunch of suspensions and his resignation) Some concessions were made and Union started their Div. I tenure with a number of restrictions, among them no athletic scholarships (still the case) and a schedule of only 25 games.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 18, 2004 01:05PM

I think I read somewhere that the Colgate home and home series will indeed be Feb 4-5.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 18, 2004 09:03PM

Per Vermont in HE and the possibility of further expansion, URI, which recently built a new arena, has hinted at going DI but put the plan on hold due to some financial problems they were having, so I can only guesstimate that after Vermont don't expect to see HE expand until URI goes DI. They join HE, UConn, which is already a member of Womens Hockey East, makes the move over, and Hockey East is situated at 12, with all 6 New England state University's being represented (Maine, UNH, UVM, U-Mass, URI, UConn).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2004 09:07PM by .

Posted by: BigD (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 18, 2004 11:49PM

[Q]Keith K '93 Wrote:

If Vermont were to jump by next year (I know the application is real, but who knows how soon it could be acted upon) [/Q]

Vermont/HE is a done deal, starting with the 2005 season. There has been some sentiment - most notably from coach Schafer - that Vermont should just hit the road starting this fall, but UVM wanted to stay another season because scheduling had already been done for the next season and they didn't want to mess that up (Gee, thanks so much!).

Someone also mentioned that HE would have to go to 12 teams right away, but there is no reason for that. One of the other conferences (CCHA?) only has ten teams and they have no problem with their playoffs - two teams don't make the playoffs. Pretty simple solution. Life sucks if you happen to be one of those two. Suck it up, plan better for next year.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.goosck01.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 12:14AM

The WCHA has ten teams, but all ten make the tournament (they were the first to use the dreaded Final Five format). The CCHA has twelve teams, and all twelve make that conference's postseason as well; they use a "Super Six" with two play-in games to determine the final two semifinalists. The only conference that does not send all its teams to the conference tournament is Hockey East, and they only eliminate the last-place finisher.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2004 12:15AM by .

Posted by: nyc94 (---.focaldata.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 12:18AM

[Q]BigD Wrote:
Someone also mentioned that HE would have to go to 12 teams right away, but there is no reason for that. One of the other conferences (CCHA?) only has ten teams and they have no problem with their playoffs - two teams don't make the playoffs. Pretty simple solution. Life sucks if you happen to be one of those two. Suck it up, plan better for next year. [/Q]

The CCHA has 12 teams and the WCHA has 10. In both leagues all of the teams make the playoffs. In fact, only in Hockey East are any teams excluded from the conference tournament (ninth place).

The CCHA teams play first round 2-of-3 series at campus sites and the six winning teams move on to the Super Six in Detroit. The teams are reseeded and the top two seeds get byes. The third seed plays the sixth and the fourth plays the fifth. These games were Thursday night actually (Northern Michigan 2  - Michigan State 1; Notre Dame 5 - Ohio State 6  OT). The winners play the two bye teams in the semifinals on Friday. Again, the teams are reseeded and the lowest seed plays the top seed, two plays three. The final and consolation game are on Saturday.

In the WCHA the top five teams host the bottom five in two-of-three series. The winners advance to the championship which is in St. Paul, MN. The teams are reseeded and the four and five seeds have a play-in game which was Thursday night (Alaska-Anchorage 4 - Colorado College 1). Semifinals are Friday night. Final and consolation game are on Saturday. This is just how the ECAC conducted its tournament for a number of years although with two of the twelve left out.

Atlantic Hockey has nine teams and has a play in game between the eight and nine seeds. CHA has six teams and has a tournament like the CCHA Super Six.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 12:38AM

[Q][Q]Keith K '93 Wrote:
If Vermont were to jump by next year (I know the application is real, but who knows how soon it could be acted upon) [/Q]
Vermont/HE is a done deal, starting with the 2005 season.[/Q]

Hey, it's not fair to quote in March my post from December! Makes me look like I don't know what I'm talking about! Which is often true, but back in Decemeber we didn't know yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login