Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Albany lodgings - not woofing!

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Albany lodgings - not woofing!
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2004 05:15PM

Hey guys,

It is NOT woofing because I am likely going whether we win or not! There, that said...

After my great luck of staying right downtown last year, I was looking for more modest lodgings this time. There are several out by the airport-ish area at reasonable prices, but I can't be sure of the quality. So I was wondering if people could comments on the Days Inn vs. Red Roof vs. Best Western 'sovereign' vs. HoJo's vs. Ramada etc in that area. Are any to be avoided? Are any surprisingly nice for the price? Just want to avoid sketchy stuff.

Also, how was parking in downtown Albany? I remember people thinking it was pretty good and not expensive... or was I wrong?

Thanks!

-Fred

Re: Albany lodgings - not woofing!
Posted by: melissa (---.ip.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 05:31PM

Parking likely will be $5-10 ... but if you get there early on sat you might be able to get free street parking (no cost for meters on Sat - i think).

Places to stay ... Cornell's hotel here tends to be the Best Western near the airport. It isn;t that bad from what I know. Also ok (tho maybe a bit pricey - I'm not sure) is the Wingate near the airport (where I stayed when I came to interview for my job). The Mariotts on Wolf Rd and on Washington Ave extension are also decent.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 05:49PM

Last year, I was able to park three blocks away from the Pepsi Arena (albeit in a somewhat sketchy-looking neighborhood) for free, both days. However, if RPI makes it to Albany, I expect parking to be a completely different situation.

Posted by: jnachod (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2004 02:21AM

Last year you could park at one of the large hotels on Wolf Road for free (about 5 miles away) and take a complimentary bus to the Pepsi arena.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 11:59AM

Most of the hotels out on Wolf Road are good. The BW get's Cornell's seal of approval so if it meets your budet, that's a plus. The Marriott is excellent. I stayed at the Hampton Inn last year, also good. The Crowne Plaza can be pricey (perhaps that's where you were) but you can't get closer and if there may be others who want to go to Albany too which cuts room costs. But to avoid woofing, you'll probably be on your own next week.

The area around the arena is quite dead on the weeknd and some neighborhoods look sketchy near there. Three years ago while at the FF, I was at the Crowne Plaza and a guy jumped off the roof of a building across the street. No it wasn't a fan of the losing team but like I said the area is quite....sorry, that would be a bad pun. I'll just give myself a twak and save you all the time.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2004 12:23PM

[Q]However, if RPI makes it to Albany, I expect parking to be a completely different situation.
[/Q]

Their quartet of fans seldom leave Troy.

Seriously, there will be spotty support for the RIP team in Albany. Many of their townie season ticket holders (excluding ringers such as myself) wouldn't go to Albany to see the nationals in 2001. Most don't bother to check out the regionals in their biennial showcase at the Pepsi Arena. A few more will travel those five miles between Troy and Albany to see own their team, but just a few.

In defense of some of the season ticket holders, they are 75+ years of age. But there are far too many younger fans in Troy who just don't care about D 1 hockey the way I think they should.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 12:29PM

If I were in Troy, I'd want any excuse to get out.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2004 03:20PM

[Q]If I were in Troy, I'd want any excuse to get out.[/Q]

Agreed. I am 1/2 mile from the city limits and my post office is Troy.
worry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login