Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Smoore

Posted by melissa 
Smoore
Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 01:38AM

This is kinda off topic but since he's a former ECAC player I figured it is relevant.

Smoore was hurt really bad when the heated rivalry between the Canucks and the Avs reached a new and disturbing level. He was taken out on a stretcher after the sickest play of retaliation I've ever seen. After being smashed into the ice head first, with his neck at an odd angle, he was treated to a 5-10 ft face skid at the bottom of a pile of guys.

Smoore may have played for Harvard but he's an ECAC alum and I've enjoyed watching him play for the Avs. I just hope it isn't as serious as it looked.

Re: Smoore
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 01:54AM

Bertuzzi should get 20 games at least. He held his own in a fight earlier on the night.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 03:46AM

This is Steve Moore, right? I have no love for the guy, but on the other hand, no player deserves that, ECAC alum or not.

Posted by: Lauren 06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 11:43AM

Yes, Steve Moore.

My understanding of the hit is compiled from a few different sources biased to both sides (I admit to being a Canucks fan, so read this with that in mind), and this is what I could come up with: Many, many Vancouver players challenged Moore, including Bertuzzi and May, and he didn't answer the bell until the littlest guy Cooke took him on. He accepted the only fight he knew he could win easily, and that pissed Bertuzzi off. Does that excuse him? Of course not, but to clear Moore of blame because he accepted a fight requires a few mitigating circumstances.

Also, it looks like most of the damage Moore sustained was due to the ensuing dogpile (which there's no excuse for....), and not Bertuzzi's sucker punch that knocked him down.

Prediction: 10 game suspension.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2004 11:20AM

[Q]Also, it looks like most of the damage Moore sustained was due to the ensuing dogpile (which there's no excuse for....), and not Bertuzzi's sucker punch that knocked him down[/Q]

If you watch the replay of it, (it's on tsn.ca) the "dogpile" is Bertuzzi driving Moore into the ground and shoving his head into the ice. Bertuzzi is pissed about Moore being a wuss and not accepting a fight? I guess it takes a big man to sucker punch somebody from behind, he's a real tough guy rolleyes
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2004 11:22AM by .

Posted by: Lauren 06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 11:25AM

Yes, I did watch the replay. The sucker punch was god awful, and I'm not trying to excuse it. You could argue either way for whether Bertuzzi falling on Moore and pinning him to the ice was intentional--when I saw it, I didn't see Bertuzzi forcibly THROW him down on the ice, but I don't think he necessarily did much to stop himself from falling on top of him.

If YOU watched the replay, clearly you saw the dogpile, where players from both teams threw themselves onto the two of them with such velocity that Moore's head was scraped along the ice. Bertuzzi didn't do that himself.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 01:07PM

Bertuzzi suspended indefinitely by the NHL effective immediately.

[edit] This was already posted on the other thread ... that's what I get for not reading before I post.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2004 01:19PM by .

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2004 01:11PM

Article from tsn: [www.tsn.ca]

Date: March 09, 2004 01:13PM

Quick question... and I think this happened about 4 years ago... but does anyone remember the guy who hooked his stick in the back of the helmet of another player, dragging him to the ground? My mind is going blank -- who was that, and what ended up happening in the way of consequences?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: March 09, 2004 01:20PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

Quick question... and I think this happened about 4 years ago... but does anyone remember the guy who hooked his stick in the back of the helmet of another player, dragging him to the ground? My mind is going blank -- who was that, and what ended up happening in the way of consequences? [/Q]

You mean Lenny's coach in Springfield? rolleyes

Date: March 09, 2004 01:32PM

It must be the McSorley/Brashear incident (thanks Rich).

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: March 09, 2004 01:33PM

I think you're talking about Marty McSorely, who didn't really hook and drag the guy, but he did hit Donald Brashear (then with the Canucks, ironically) on the cheek/neck with the blade of his stick, knocking him to the ice while trying to goad him into a fight with about 5 seconds left in the game. On his way down, Brashear's helmet fell off, and his head hit the ice pretty hard. Somewhere in that tunr of events, he sustained a concussion.

McSorely was suspended for the remainder of that season, and that was a February game, so it amounted to 25 games or so.

Edit: Moore suffered a fractured vertabrate and a concussion, according to ESPN: [sports.espn.go.com] . He's in surgery today.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2004 01:36PM by .

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 02:29PM

Oh, what garbage. If Moore's hit weeks ago was worthy of action the league should have suspended him. Case closed. The fact that we have to talk about the Vancouver players trying to goad him into a fight and whether it was good enough for him to fight the smallest guy out there is ridiculous.

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 02:44PM

seems like the police are getting involved in this one ....

[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: March 09, 2004 03:16PM

[Q]Lauren 06 Wrote:
If YOU watched the replay, clearly you saw the dogpile, where players from both teams threw themselves onto the two of them with such velocity that Moore's head was scraped along the ice. Bertuzzi didn't do that himself. [/Q] From what I could tell, the injury was the result of Moore hitting the ice face-first with Bertuzzi's speed and mass adding to the force of the impact when he landed. Maybe the dogpile made it worse, but the real problem looked like the impact of the fall.

Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 03:52PM

I have never been more ashamed of being a fan of a particular team in my life. That was disgusting.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 04:43PM

[Q]If YOU watched the replay, clearly you saw the dogpile, where players from both teams threw themselves onto the two of them with such velocity that Moore's head was scraped along the ice. Bertuzzi didn't do that himself.[/Q]

Of course he did. After the sucker punch, Bertuzzi grabbed Moore's arms and held them behind him so that he couldn't brace himself on the fall, thus allowing Moore to fall face first. Bertuzzi, seemingly deliberately, fell on top of him. Dogpile or not, Moore's face would still have scraped along the ice. Absolutely disgusting, and I hope Bertuzzi doesn't play another NHL game until well after any potential lockout.

(Sorry, didn't know which of the 2 threads to post this on :-) )

Date: March 09, 2004 06:30PM

Is anyone else having issues with the tsn website in trying to view the video clip?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2004 07:05PM

I'm making an executive decision. Use the other thread :-P

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.