Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Union is Union and Dan Murphy still Sucks!

Posted by Chief Bear 
Union is Union and Dan Murphy still Sucks!
Posted by: Chief Bear (---.modem.logical.net)
Date: March 06, 2004 11:45PM

My friends,

after requiring two fiull weeks to try and come to terms with the embarrassing fiasco at Union two weeks ago, I returned to the sterile Mesa Rink with Onion friends tonight to see if they could possibly break their 0-12 streak in playoff games against the rusted Knights.

Well, as I watched the Knights look very well oiled, and jumping out to a 3-0 lead in the first period, I wondered to myself, "why wasn't Union playing this usual frantic slip-shod game when our beloved Big Red was in town?" Sometimes I don't get it and it really doesn't make sense.

Needless to say, two things are evident. Clarkson had an easy time with Onion (outscoring the Dutchmen 13-5 in the two nights), and had tons of powerplays courtesy of a very touchy ref - Kotyra (sp?), who called boarding calls seemingly out of the thin air and of, course the infamous call of smoke & mirrors - "obstruction and interference" !

In this game tonight, no question in my mind that Kotyra pulled the rug right out from under Union's burgeoning momentum when they got to within 3-1. One of his bizarre calls and a subsequent quick Tech goal and it was 4-1 and the nails were in the coffin fully.

Hopefully, we will not get him as the ref necxt week. He could easily neutralize the Lynah advantage. Clarkson looked great on the powerplay (PP) - and they had SO MANY to look good on.

Amazingly, Union had the distinction of the ECAC's poorest offense at 2.09 GPG. I thought sure that unhappy distinctin was that of our own Red, considering how many low-scoring 1 goal games we have had this year.

I am hoping that the bye week off, has yielded healing for our inhjured players, an extraordinarily effective and suffocating defense to blanket the knights with, and how about some "Long-Bow" by means of a bit better offensive prowess, especially on the powerplays. To steal Tony-the-Tiger's line, that would be GRRRRRREATTT!!! :-)

And what of the infamous Dan Murphy, the "GOD" of Clarkson hockey in the mid-90's? (Gee that seems like a lifetime ago!) :-D

I saw a few Clarkson fans with "Murphy" on their jerseys....... ahhhh, I had all I could do to keep from commenting " and Murphy is a choke-sieve! " on my way out through the Tech groupies! But, I didn't feel like getting into a fight (especially outside of Lynah)...
I REALLY wanted to mention to them that I had been in attendance at Lake Placid for the frequent dismantling of the Knights at their height - and that of the humiliation of the infamous Murphy in the goal - filled with pucks from Big Red snipers ! Hooo-wahhh!!!! :-)

And now its Dustin Trelan's turn...............................to follow in Murphy's humiliated skates.....

LET's GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--- Da Bear ! :-)

Re: Union is Union and Dan Murphy still Sucks!
Posted by: Ken (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 07, 2004 12:26PM

[Q]Chief Bear Wrote:
Needless to say, two things are evident. Clarkson had an easy time with Onion (outscoring the Dutchmen 13-5 in the two nights), and had tons of powerplays courtesy of a very touchy ref - Kotyra (sp?), who called boarding calls seemingly out of the thin air and of, course the infamous call of smoke & mirrors - "obstruction and interference" !

In this game tonight, no question in my mind that Kotyra pulled the rug right out from under Union's burgeoning momentum when they got to within 3-1. One of his bizarre calls and a subsequent quick Tech goal and it was 4-1 and the nails were in the coffin fully.

Hopefully, we will not get him as the ref necxt week. He could easily neutralize the Lynah advantage.
--- Da Bear ! [/Q]

Kotyra did both of Cornell's games in the Boston area this year. Unlike what you saw, I thought he did a good job because he let the teams play. He seemed to appreciate the fact that the players should determine the outcome, not the officials. I thought Schafer was angry at him a couple times for not calling penalties, rather than for calling inconsequential stuff.

I think the only game he did at Ithaca this year was Harvard.

Re: Union is Union and Dan Murphy still Sucks!
Posted by: Chief Bear (149.103.10.---)
Date: March 08, 2004 10:14AM

Hi, Ken,

He did exactly opposite with the Clarkson/Union game than the way you saw him in Boston. The players were giving him words over each stoppage of play and frequent picky penalties. It was wayyy to tight.

Should we be surprised by the 180-turn around? Not in the ECAC where officials are as cardiac in their reffing a you could possibly imagine.

LGR!!!!

-- da Bear

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login