Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Hahvahd, CSTV, and Tivo

Posted by RedAR 
Cornell vs. Hahvahd, CSTV, and Tivo
Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 08, 2004 11:48PM

If anyone out there get's CSTV, and happens to have a Tivo, could they record the game tomorrow night? It would be REALLY nice to convert the Lynah East game onto a high quality DVD for posterity sake...

I am volunteering to do the conversion if I could somehow get the files.

Re: Cornell vs. Hahvahd, CSTV, and Tivo
Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: January 09, 2004 08:19AM

I've already set my TiVo, but how would I send it to you?

Posted by: judy (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 09, 2004 08:33AM

And don't forget CSTV Primetime that starts at 7:30. They usually end that with a preview of the upcoming game!

Date: January 09, 2004 09:39AM

Well, too late to set that, since I'm going straight from work to John Harvard's. Oh well...

Date: January 09, 2004 12:45PM

How large would a 3 hour file be? Do you have a DVD burner? Where do you live?

I'm sure we can figure some way of transferring the file.

Date: January 09, 2004 01:03PM

RedAR wrote:

How large would a 3 hour file be?

No idea. Keep in mind, I know nothing about all of this technological stuff. I'm still excited because I have two VCR's hooked together that let me copy videos.

Do you have a DVD burner?

No - see above.

Where do you live?

Belmont, MA - a mile outside of Cambridge.

Date: January 09, 2004 01:04PM

RedAR wrote:

How large would a 3 hour file be?

No idea. Keep in mind, I know nothing about all of this technological stuff. I'm still excited that I have two VCR's hooked up together to let me copy videos.

Do you have a DVD burner?

No - see above.

Where do you live?

Belmont, MA - a mile outside of Cambridge.

Date: January 09, 2004 01:32PM

I am in Cambridge, so we could probably arrange for me stop by to somehow transfer the file (I have a 160GB external HD, which I am certain is enough capacity to hold the entire game).

Let's email after the game to see what can be done.

Date: January 09, 2004 01:33PM

Age, any pointers on transferring video files from Tivo to a Mac?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: January 12, 2004 09:44AM

I usually just run S-Video and RCA audio out of the TiVo into a DV bridge straight into my mac and capture on-the-fly while it's playing. Extracting the files from the TiVo would require adding an ethernet card to the TiVo and doing some hacking, so that's probably not a good option. If you have a laptop with about 30G free and a Firewire (IEEE 1394) port, and a DV bridge, you could theoretically go over and capture in one shot. Though the prospect of a 3 hour capture on-the-fly without dropping frames or crashing seems daunting on a Windows machine. Only had trouble doing that once on a Mac. For the sake of thoroughness, to capture on-the-fly using Final Cut Pro (Capture Now), you can only do 30 minutes at a time in FCP 3. FCP 2 will go as as long as it can. You need to change the preferences in FCP 4 to do more than 30 minutes, which is the default setting. So, uhh, don't use version 3.

Another option would be to capture from the TiVo to a digital camcorder in 1-hour chunks, then dump that via Firewire to a computer and put it all together.

Unfortunately I have Dish Network and they still haven't picked up CSTV, so no, I don't have it :-/

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: January 12, 2004 10:56AM

Thanks Age for your advice.

I just got myself a dual 2.0 G5, and though it's here primarily to run some simulations, I figure I can give it a "rest" one night and let it burn some DVD's.

I still do have my TiBook, so getting it over hopefully won't be too much of a problem.

Sully, can you email me, and perhaps we can work out some time when I might be able to copy from your Tivo?

Date: January 12, 2004 11:15AM

Do you have a DV bridge? I used to have a Hollywood Dazzle, which I used for the last 2 DVDs, but the Formac one's a bit better. Hoping to get one of those soon.

EDIT: (and 25-30GB free on your laptop? If your external 160 is firewire, you may be pushing it doing DV capture and write to disk on the same 400MBps Firewire channel)

Post Edited (01-12-04 11:18)

Date: January 12, 2004 11:54AM

I do have a firewire pcmcia firewire card. What is the bandwidth on the pcmcia slot? Also, for the formac dv bridge, I wouldn't need the TVR version if I'm just doing a on-the-fly capture, right?

Date: January 12, 2004 12:36PM

Except for the G5's which are now 800 Mbps (and the only 800's at this point that I know of) any IEEE-1394 is 400Mbps. That, of course is a theoretical upper limit. On top of that, you're dealing with the PCMCIA bus limitations, which might max out at less than that, but I'm not positive.

Now, you said you're using a TiBook, which has built-in Firewire. Are you suggesting using the built-in Firewire for the DV bridge and the PCMCIA card for the external drive? If that's the case, you should be ok. It might even work with just the built-in Firewire if the external drive has 2 firewire ports (TiVo->DV bridge->external drive->laptop), but I'm not sure.

Date: January 12, 2004 12:47PM

Yeah, I was thinking of connecting the DV bridge to the built-in firewire, and the external hd to the pcmcia slot. I think that should do it (of course, I have to get the DV bridge). The other hitch is if Sully will let me stop by to grab the video.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, some of the newer Powerbooks (aluminum) has Firewire 800 built-in. That doesn't really help here, since I don't have a newer Powerbook.

Post Edited (01-12-04 13:51)

Date: January 12, 2004 01:14PM

RedAR wrote:
Also, if I'm not mistaken, some of the newer Powerbooks (aluminum) has Firewire 800 built-in.
Yeah, the 15" and 17", but since you said TiBook, I was alread rambling a bit and decided to be breif(er). =]

Date: January 20, 2004 01:56PM

Unfortunately, I've run into a snag in terms of converting the TiVo feed to DV. I got myself a DV bridge, and tried to bring the video into my computer, but while the audio came through, the video wouldn't. I've tried importing in both Final Cut Pro and in iMovie.

Sully and I are planning on trying again, and I would love to get some info on what I may be doing incorrectly. If anyone (Age?) could give me some pointers, I would really appreciate it.

My next attempt will be to try to run the feed directly into a DV camera, but I have to get my hands on a DV camera first.

I'll try to keep you all updated, and if I can get the video onto my computer, then I should be able to create DVD's (at cost) for everyone.

Posted by: jy3 (---.urmc.rochester.edu)
Date: January 20, 2004 02:40PM

redar,
if you are able to convert it into pretty much any format (mpeg, mpeg2, mpeg3, avi, etc.) i should be able to figure out how to convert it to dv format and then burn it. i am going to be doign the same thing with some tv shows that were recorded with a tv tuner card that i want to burn on dvd. i can let u know what happens with those if you get stuck. i also hope to get a digital camcorder that can convert vhs/s-video into video files on computers that can then get burned. lemme know :)

Date: January 20, 2004 02:54PM

He needs to get it as DV before any other format. I've been a slacker, but I'll see if I can help.

Date: February 02, 2004 09:41AM

Update:

Video has been transfered to my computer, and I've done the first round of editing. Still, it's 9 minutes too long, so I'm trying to find things I can cut out. There is an interview with Mike Eaves regarding the WJC, and I figure I can cut that entire segment out. That'll leave in Adam speaking out about the Div. III thingy.

I'll keep you posted when I've actually burned a DVD.

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 10:15AM

redar
if u have a good internet connection you could always upload it to my ftp server too. it will take a while but if you feel inclined...when it is done of course

Posted by: D! (---.netvigator.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 11:14AM

Since you've already got the footage down and almost ready to go, if you can make a DVD image with all the requisite VOB files, just run it through DVDShrink, and it will automatically size the whole project down for you, no need to cut anything.
Er, that is of course if you have a pc, I don't know if that program is coded for Mac.

For anyone else out there who is interested, my windoze notebook was able to go from a DV deck to an external 160 to the computer. no frames dropped. On-the-fly didn't work so well, and it turned out that pushing to DV tape was better anyway, because the timecodes are laid down, and some programs allow batch capture, so you can scan through and skip the commercials.

Date: February 02, 2004 11:38AM

/me checks the Mac-PC fire for some embers and pokes them...

Muahaha. My hockey game DVDs were on-the-fly DV captures to my Mac from my TiVo with no dropped frame. 3+ hours, no problem. And on a 3-year old Mac at that :-)

As for RedAR's issue, I think he's using iDVD or something (ick). The bitrate is variable with DVD Studio Pro. If iDVD will let you build the DVD on your drive and it comes in over 4.5G, you could use something like DVD2One to recompress it to fit on a DVD.

Posted by: D! (---.netvigator.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 07:53PM

Yeah, weaning myself off of half-decent hard drives and systems and onto a notebook hasn't given the greatest results. I bet you could dig up an old mac still using SCSI and get better performance than my <pause to access drive> crappy <HD light flashes> setup. 512MB of RAM and winduhs still has to drop everything it's doing just to cache some data.
Heck, for that matter, maybe I should go out and buy an Amiga off of ebay. They're still good enough for some cable broadcasters...

Date: February 03, 2004 11:20AM

Age,

Yeah, because I've never done any video editing apart from iMovie, and the only DVD I've ever burned is using iDVD, that is the route I'm taking. I do have access to Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro, but don't have to time to fiddle to figure out how to do things there.

The game was captured using iMovie, and has been edited (commercials removed), and is ready to be burned. I was intending to use iDVD 4, which allows for 2 hours at full quality. I'm sure it'll allow longer videos if the quality is reduced, but I'd prefer not to do that.

If you can guide me in getting my edited iMovie files (with chapters predefined) into DVD Studio Pro for burning, then by all means, I'd rather do that. Otherwise, I'll have to cut some footage since I don't want to lower the quality of the video of the game.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2004 09:47AM

D! wrote:

Heck, for that matter, maybe I should go out and buy an Amiga off of ebay. They're still good enough for some cable broadcasters...

I've got a NeXT Dimension you can buy. Even does composite and svideo...
;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login