Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Pep Band Should Not Travel

Posted by Facetimer 
Pep Band Should Not Travel
Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 12:54AM

That's right, along with schafer's resignation, the pep band should call it quits. They add nothing to the game-time atmosphere -- they haven't come up with any new chants for the current team (resorting to outdated chants for Bâby, McRae, and Underhill). stupid

In the interim, they take the seats allotted to Cornell students who want to support the team and limit the amount of seats we can get through the Cornell box office. I'm not saying the guys in the band can't go to games; I'm just saying they shouldn't go in the capacity of the band.

To boot, the band drove right by a broken down Mike Rosenberg '04 who, on top of being shut out from getting a ticket (presumably because of the band) he simply needed a push out of the snow. The band enjoyed their cushy chartered bus with disregard to all the other Lynah Faithful. Thank god for Mike, there were true fans like Avash '05 and Mike Ack who unselfishly helped him out of the snow. These are the guys who deserve seats in the allocated Cornell section at away games.

Re: Pep Band Should Not Travel
Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2004 01:12AM

We didn't come across him again on the highway - other than our ice-capade. It was Avash and Mike Rosenberg that helped us, with directions and the conscientious driving.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 01:14AM

[Q]Thank god for Mike, there were true fans like Avash '05 and Mike Ack who unselfishly helped him out of the snow. These are the guys who deserve seats in the allocated Cornell section at away games.[/Q]

Well....thanks for the compliment (I guess?), but I wasn't the one who helped Mike R. out of the snow, though of course I would have helped if I were there :-)

In light of this fact, I suppose I'm once again a facetimer nut

Post Edited (02-02-04 01:14)

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 02:26AM

it was either the pep band or the team that drove by (they have identical swartout buses). judging by the timing (we left as soon as the game ended, the pep band arrived at mcdonalds when we were leaving, and we were probably stuck for about 30 min), my guess it was the band bus that passed by. that's not to say it was the band's fault (possibly the driver's though), but it was an ironic point to mention and i had some choice words at 11pm by the car when the bus passed.
then again, it could have been our beloved team, depending on how much later schafer kept them at the rink for a talk, and showers and all.

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2004 02:33AM

We followed the band bus because they would take a route we could easily follow home. They stopped at McDonalds, so we did too. We saw you there for a few minutes (around 9:45 maybe?). The pep band bus had to board at 10:20 and got back on the road then, with us following. While we were in McDonalds after you left, we saw the other Swarthout bus (must be the team's) head down the road. We thought about running to the car and following that one, but decided to stick it out with the band bus tracks. I'm assuming the team bus got to you first and passed - and if you didn't see a second bus, you were probably dug out and on your way well ahead of us (and the pep band bus).

Date: February 02, 2004 03:02AM

oh man, based on your detailled breakdown, the fucking hockey team left us sitting on the side of the road. (once again, not that it is the fault of the people in the bus so much as the driver possibly). but still, that REALLY pisses me off now, after driving to see them play in that awful weather.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 09:29AM

Didn't the CHA charter a bus for the game? Maybe it was them.

Posted by: Lisa (141.254.40.---)
Date: February 02, 2004 10:11AM

The parents all drove up on a bus together.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2004 01:22PM

(Wow... this is all so ironic.)

So now all we have to do is figure out when the parents' bus left Hamilton...

Posted by: Section A Banshee (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 02:41PM

All right, this is moronic. Stop whining.

Probably NOBODY in the pep band watches the ROAD while on the bus, especially in CNY when there's nothing to see. And, the driver is commissioned to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. End of story. (Their unions have limitations on the miles/hours they can drive.) It's highly unlikely that the bus driver is going to stop for anyone, regardless of the situation. It doesn't mean he's a dick, it means he's doing his job. It's the same for the team. It doesn't mean that the team or the pep band hate you, don't appreciate you, and/or wouldn't have helped you if they'd been driving their own cars on the snow.

Posted by: Gil G. (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 03:22PM

Wow, you guys did such a great job with CSI: Hamilton, I think you should come work for me.

Posted by: fine I'll bite (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2004 03:28PM

1. I didn't know it was the band's responsibility to come up with new chants (unless you mean musical cheers).

2. As far as I know, the band is comprised of "Cornell students who want to support the team", as you put it.

Posted by: Steph (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2004 11:50PM

It seems to me that the band members are some of the biggest fans out there. They don't detract from the game; on the contrary they add a whole lot to it. And if you like chants/cheers, why would you want to get rid of the provider of many of them? Plus, would you rather have listened to the Colgate band?

Can you elaborate on your argument? It seems like most of it is based on the fact that a bus drove by Mike's car.

Date: February 02, 2004 11:52PM

my girlfriend's car actually

Date: February 02, 2004 11:53PM

Well then, tell your girlfriend we all thought the front end of her car was very pretty. ;-)

Date: February 03, 2004 12:19AM

Steph wrote:

It seems to me that the band members are some of the biggest fans out there. They don't detract from the game; on the contrary they add a whole lot to it. And if you like chants/cheers, why would you want to get rid of the provider of many of them? Plus, would you rather have listened to the Colgate band?

Can you elaborate on your argument? It seems like most of it is based on the fact that a bus drove by Mike's car.

As you and I both know, Steph, readers of eLF tend to only read one section of a post and leave out the rest, which usually includes the main point of the post (how you all did so well on the SAT reading comprehension sections is beyond me).

My main arguments were that the band adds nothing to the game. Aside from butchered songs and occasional chants -- none of which are relevant to the current team. For instance, I overheard some jokester yell "Yeah Varteressian, yeah...do I make you O'Byrne?" to the old Bâby / Hornby chant. How does that help get the puck in the net?

Notwithstanding, if members of the band are fans, they can drive to the games themselves, sans instruments. You don't need to show your support for the team through musical and often annoying demonstrations.

In the meantime, more students get the opportunity to see Cornell on the road. Maybe one day HOTELCALIFORNIA will get the chance to see the Red on the road. She just needs to find a friend to go with.

Furthermore, if more fans are driving to the game, including band members now in their own cars -- perhaps there would have been more people willing to help Mike Rosenberg '04.

Date: February 03, 2004 12:31AM

What the pep band contributes to Lynah, more than music (or "butchered songs" if you prefer), is a real depth of continuity and tradition. The pep band is a way to condense old folk, who know the chants and traditions, with the young folk who will keep it up in later years and pass it on themselves. There really isn't an analog to this loose mentor/student analogy outside of the pep band (maybe CHA and the Red Line in a little while....), which is why the student section has become lame in the eyes of the alumni.

Date: February 03, 2004 12:33AM

Forgot to mention, there's unfortunately been a dropoff in the amount of loud mouthed assholes populating the pepband, so random screaming tirades are sadly less frequent than they used to be.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2004 01:29AM

Section A Banshee wrote:
Forgot to mention, there's unfortunately been a dropoff in the amount of loud mouthed assholes populating the pepband, so random screaming tirades are sadly less frequent than they used to be.
You know, this is one of the funniest posts I've ever read. :-D

Posted by: da Gerbs 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2004 07:47AM

I guess, I will also bite to this troll... I'll mention I'm one of the conductors up front, so I guess that makes me biased also.

"In the meantime, more students get the opportunity to see Cornell on the road."

Logically, your argument makes no sense. Freeing up the seats of the pepband does not allow more students to get in: all members of the pepband are students. You would simply be replacing a group of students for another group of students.

"My main arguments were that the band adds nothing to the game. Aside from butchered songs and occasional chants "

Complete lies. Listen to the breaks without music. They aren't pretty. I should know. Right before I conduct any cheer for the band, I listen to the arena for announcements and for any chants that are taking place. Absent of these, Lynah can be rather dead. There's background crowd noise - but not much - and believe me, it's not fun to listen to for a whole stoppage of play.

The band adds a lot to the arena in the way of songs and cheers. And they are good songs. I take it you're not a connoisseur of band music, but take it from me, this pepband blows any other competing band out of the water. The pepband is at the top of its game right now, and it is sad that there are people out there who don't recognize this.

Notwithstanding, if members of the band are fans, they can drive to the games themselves,...

Sorry, my car is in the shop right now. I know, it sucks.

Furthermore, if more fans are driving to the game, including band members now in their own cars -- perhaps there would have been more people willing to help Mike Rosenberg '04.

To start: this is one of the most retarded arguments I've ever seen.

To continue: just ask anyone who knows me, and they'll say that I proudly tell people all the time that I knew Mike Rosenberg before he was the crazy hockey fan he is now. He was in my freshman writing seminar and lives about 10 minutes from my hometown in NJ. I'm sure if anyone on the pepband bus saw his car in the ditch or whatnot, someone would have stopped the bus. Futhermore, if it were me, we would have exchanged old stories of the FWS on the side of the road.

I think that covers all of your "argument", but if I missed anything, I'm sure you'll flame away.

I don't think it's really necessary, but if you think the pepband's doing a good job, post a message. Help show our facetimer comrade what the arena thinks of the band.

To conclude, I guess I'd like to give a shoutout to Mike Rosenberg. You're that crazy hockey superfan, and I'm now a pepband conductor. So we share that in common now as well. Small world.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 03, 2004 08:35AM

Although I didn't like sitting behind one of the sousaphones at the game at Colgate, that's not anyone's fault, really, it just had to be done and it was luck of the draw when it came to my friends scrambling for some of the last seats left at Starr.

So, yeah, the band is great, don't change a thing in your gametime rituals, home or away. :-)

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: February 03, 2004 09:59AM

Mike Rosenberg '04,

Obviously, you're good friends with this pathetic Facetimer, a real facetimer who starts looking for a scapegoat (Mike Schafer, the Pep Band) the second the team doesn't play up to unrealistic expectations. If you are the super crazy Cornell hockey fan that you are, maybe you could do all of us a favor and reveal who this ass is (his name and email?) so that he can't spew off in anonymity anymore. If we have his email address, maybe One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino could repeat his heroics, if you know what I mean?

Post Edited (02-03-04 11:14)

Date: February 03, 2004 10:52AM

RedAR wrote:

If we have his email address, maybe One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino repeat his heroics, if you know what I mean?

Well, I don't know if I can qualify those particular past actions as "heroics", but, uh, we'll see. :-D

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2004 01:37PM

da Gerbs 04 wrote:
... if you think the pepband's doing a good job, post a message. Help show our facetimer comrade what the arena thinks of the band.
i love the band, i think they are doing a great job.:-)

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: February 03, 2004 01:57PM

Well.. I don't know anyone who doesn't love the band with the exception of Facetimer here...

Also, check out USCHO's forum titled "ECAC Pick'Em: Week 12". On one of the picks, this kid called Cornell the "Band Team". And picked us to win because he liked that.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 03, 2004 02:44PM

[Q]Well.. I don't know anyone who doesn't love the band with the exception of Facetimer here...[/Q]"Love" the band? Well that's quite a strong statement. I've bitched about stupid things (IMNSHO) the band has done/played on many occasions in the past. But I think any of us who has ever attended a college hockey game, at Lynah or elsewhere, where there wasn't a band and had to put up with loads of dead air and cheezy piped in Jock Jams quickly learns to appreciate having them in the stands.

Why oh why am I posting to this thread? screwy

Posted by: The Tone (132.236.158.---)
Date: February 04, 2004 08:57AM

That's it.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 05:17PM

So what do we know about facetimer so far, besides the fact that it sits in Section A and is generally a jackass? Maybe it's time to start gathering info and figuring out who it is. Anybody have any guesses?

Date: February 04, 2004 05:34PM

Edit: oops, replied to wrong post.

Post Edited (02-04-04 17:37)

Date: February 04, 2004 05:38PM

He's buddy buddy with Mike Rosenberg '04. Keep an eye on who Mike is hanging with during hockey games, and maybe we can narrow the field.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2004 05:41PM

... is a freshman in ILR and has no idea they have a library. screwy uhoh screwy

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: February 04, 2004 06:11PM

Are you joking or serious here, RedAR?

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2004 07:23PM

Maybe Facetimer IS Mike Rosenberg '04. . .
</fight club>

Date: February 04, 2004 07:45PM

well, i'm deducing here.

Facetimer popped up to defend Mike Rosenberg '04. Then, he started going on his rampage. more recently, he popped up again to blast the pep band for not stopping for Mike Rosenberg '04. It seems to me that there is some connection between the two of them.

Date: February 04, 2004 07:53PM

Maybe Big Ben '03 is facetimer?!?!?!

There is enough information out there to figure out who he/she/it is.

It is right in front of your nose; I am surprised nobody figured it out yet.

Date: February 04, 2004 07:56PM

...And no, I am not Mike Rosenberg '04.

Good guess.

Posted by: Five Six (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2004 09:09PM

You know Earl - you're along the aisle in sections A or B.

You use roadrunner, so you're not in the dorms.

You're smart, but know enough to be more than one person.

You sit close enough to Age to know he was kicked out --> section A probably.

You're enough of a jerk to be a guy or two.

A lot of seats in A are owned by a frat.

My guess is you're in TKE - how many of you I don't know.

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2004 09:13PM

As far as I'm concerned, the only important thing we know is that we have someone with too much time on their hands who likes getting a rise out of people. I honestly don't care who this person is, and I don't think it's worth anyone's energy to try to figure it out, or even bother responding to these ridiculous comments. Why should the reasonable people on here that actually have something to say give him that satisfaction?

And yes, I realize that I'm adding to this thread with this comment, but I still feel it's worth it to remind people that when you're faced with a problem in life, ignoring it is always a sound strategy. ;-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 09:36PM

Brian Deerr '04 wrote:
And yes, I realize that I'm adding to this thread with this comment, but I still feel it's worth it to remind people that when you're faced with a problem in life, ignoring it is always a sound strategy. ;-)
You know, we tried ignoring Macho Man and it hasn't gone away yet. :-P

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 09:38PM

I suppose I can ponder a guess....

maybe facetimer is the kid who wore (still wears?) that hat with the devil horns. Something about that kid always bugged me... (and not just the way he drew out DIEEEEEEEEEEE for an eternity...)

Posted by: seven eight (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2004 10:00PM

Five Six wrote:My guess is you're in TKE - how many of you I don't know.

i was told by someone (who claimed to know facetimer) that yes, he is in TKE. (or at least that his group of friends who also post under his name are.)

Posted by: Molly (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2004 10:00PM

Hmm...wouldn't it be ironic if it was the guy in section A with the red t-shirt and white lettering saying..."I'm a Facetimer"? :-}

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 10:43PM

Eh... I dunno. He's a little odd (:-P) but I don't think he's the type.

Post Edited (02-04-04 22:44)

Date: February 04, 2004 10:54PM

DisplacedCornellian wrote:

maybe facetimer is the kid who wore (still wears?) that hat with the devil horns.

Jamie?

Date: February 04, 2004 11:04PM

I don't think its the kid with the horns. I stood by him at the Brown game in January and he didn't seem like such a negative guy.
Ohh the times we had yelling at the little kid.....:-P

we should start a forum trying to anticipate the next stupid thread facetimer will start.... my guess is that its going to be titled "The entire hockey team should resign"

Alex

Date: February 04, 2004 11:29PM

1. i am not facetimer. i am not in fact in ILR, but am a senior govt major in the arts school. i am also not in a frat. for one, you could compare the IPs if you feel like it.

2. the kid in the devil horns is named jamie. he's my housemate's boyfriend and graduated in 2002, coming back for some of the games. he is also not facetimer, and he loves his devil horns. he's right behind me in A, and this is our fourth year running that we have seats right on the A/B aisle.

3. to correct a point of history, DIEEEEEE started one game my sophomore year (so that's the 01-02 season) when jamie, myself, and a senior who sat in front of us in A would draw out all three responses to the tubas (one for each of us). consequently, jamie was "die" and i was "drop dead." it got old after a game or two and we stopped. apparently, a game or so later, people decided to reignite this cheer, which still occurs, in full force today. i don't partake anymore because i save my voice for other stuff. jamie still relishes it. (same way macho man started, freshman year, with travis. he doesn't continue the cheer, but he sure gets a kick out of everyone else doing it).

4. jesus now people are going to follow me around at games to see who i talk to? i hope that's a joke, because that's pretty creepy.

-mike rosenberg '04

Date: February 05, 2004 12:20AM

For what it's worth, I really could care less who Facetimer is, mainly because I believe I get the joke. It just seems like he wants the Faithful here on eLynah to stop taking ourselves so seriously. In fact, I'm sure the whole "Facetimer" routine stemmed from the fact that some of us were blaming a lot of the poor cheering at Lynah early in the season on freshmen and facetimers; I personally am responsible for a great deal of that. I think it's all about making our Faithfulness a little less stringent, and putting the fun back in fandom by poking fun at ourselves and each other. Sometimes he goes a little too far with the trolling, but ultimately, I think his intentions are good if we can just see through the words.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just a stupid facetimer. :-D

Date: February 05, 2004 01:28AM

Alex Kushnir '06 wrote:

I don't think its the kid with the horns. I stood by him at the Brown game in January and he didn't seem like such a negative guy.
Ohh the times we had yelling at the little kid.....:-P

Where you the one who took away his little blue noisemaker? Because that's real mature, stealing things from kids. You stupid facetimer.

Date: February 05, 2004 01:35AM

[Q]Facetimer wrote:
Where you the one who took away his little blue noisemaker? Because that's real mature, stealing things from kids. You stupid facetimer.[/Q]
No, I wasn't the one who did that. My immaturity stopped at yelling at the poor kid.

Date: February 05, 2004 02:28AM

frankly, that little kid deserved it. i have to say that, of all the things that i have said, done, or seen at a cu hockey game over the past 4 years, watching the dude in front of me wing the coffee cup stuffed with newspaper at that misbehaved 12 yr old providence porker, and then seeing him steal his noisemaker, was perhaps the funniest ever. i'm not one to torment little kids, but this kid had it coming.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2004 06:36AM

There's something about the Meehan game that makes some members of the Faithful act like morons. The last two games there one or two of our less enlighteneed brethren were acting like complete asses. Unsurprisingly, fueled by alcohol. Guess they were wait-listed at Colgate. :)

Oh well -- one (or two) in every group, and it can't be that long till graduation.

Post Edited (02-05-04 06:39)

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2004 09:14AM

[Q](same way macho man started, freshman year, with travis. he doesn't continue the cheer, but he sure gets a kick out of everyone else doing it).
[/Q]

Unless your friend travis is a middle aged man with an ugly V-neck sweater who supports SLU(t), I very much doubt he is responsible...

Date: February 05, 2004 01:58PM

travis conceived today's version of macho man by mocking v-neck at slu in the 00-01 season

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2004 09:15AM

Mike wrote:

3. to correct a point of history, DIEEEEEE started one game my sophomore year (so that's the 01-02 season) when jamie, myself, and a senior who sat in front of us in A would draw out all three responses to the tubas (one for each of us).

Umm. No. This is patently untrue.

Dieeeeee was being done during my last year of having season tickets (99-00) if not earlier. Keith, was it being done your last year on campus?

Also, I just want to comment that I think it is slightly odd that at least 2 different people have now (incorrectly) claimed credit for an alteration that most alumni would love to see die, as it were. Whatever...

(Gee, 3 pointless posts in the last 30 minutes. Can we guess who's snowed in?)

Date: February 06, 2004 09:25AM

[Q] alteration that most alumni would love to see die, as it were.[/Q]

most would love to see diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeee? ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login