Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Introducing, The Red Line!

Posted by atb9 
Introducing, The Red Line!
Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2004 05:35PM

...the new Cornell student hockey association!

All students interested in promoting the sport of hockey are encouraged to join! The first meeting will be this Monday, January 26 at 5:00 pm in Kaufman Auditorium Goldwin Smith Hall, and meetings will take place once a month.

In addition to promoting hockey, and in particular, the men’s ice hockey team, The Red Line will provide social opportunities and a public forum for fans of the hockey team and will encourage goodwill in hockey communities and in interactions between members, hockey players, the Cornell Hockey Association (CHA) and the University administrators. An important goal is to provide support to work in unison with both the Student and the University Administrations in creating hockey-specific policy. Road trips to hockey-related events such as away games will definitely be planned. More importantly, The Red Line will be an enjoyable way to bring together the Cornell hockey community.

Even if you're not a student and you just want to show your support, stop in and say hi! We hope to see you on Monday!

Let's go Red!

Co-founders:
Adam Brown
Justin Nachod
Fred Trinkoff
Avash Kalra
Ari Baum
Age Manocchia

Post Edited (01-24-04 17:35)

Re: Introducing, The Red Line!
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 24, 2004 05:39PM

Fascinating. I will do my best to be there at the meeting.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2004 05:59PM

Very good idea. Let us know if you need cash/etc.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2004 06:15PM

It was pretty fun watching people guess what The Red Line could be :)

A website is currently in the works (thanks to Age).

Hopefully there'll be lots of people at the meeting on Monday!

Okay, I'm off to Lynah.......LGR :-D

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2004 06:54PM

This should have been done YEARS ago! I would have joined in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: January 25, 2004 12:17AM

I could use a few bucks, Greg. Thanks!

Beeeej

Posted by: HOTELCALIFORNIA (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 12:20AM

Uh huh.. so it's like a street team?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 05:44AM

So it's a hockey fan club?

Honestly, I'm not quite "getting it." Please explain further...

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 10:38PM

Adam Brown wrote:

...the new Cornell student hockey association!
Co-founders:
Age Manocchia

Facetimer club is a better name for this organization. And Age, when are you going to realize that you aren't a student?

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 10:51PM

shut up you stupid facetimer ... go back to catherwood!!!!!!!!rolleyes

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 12:19AM

Ben '03 wrote:

go back to catherwood!!!!!!!!rolleyes

What the hell does that mean?

Date: January 26, 2004 12:23AM

Reminder: meeting at 5 today (Monday). Hope to see a lot of people there!

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2004 09:05AM

Umm, yeah. I'm the advisor. Return to your hole, please.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: January 26, 2004 11:11AM

Being (1) an alum not a student, and (2) 1500 miles away, I'm sorry to say I will not be attending. Would someone mind posing minutes/notes after the meeting this evening?

Date: January 26, 2004 12:03PM

That's one of the things I have planned for the website. Just need to get a bit more content on there and I'll make it active sometime today.

Web Site Online now
Date: January 26, 2004 12:45PM

The Red Line's website is now active. There's still a lot of content to be added:

[curedline.com]

Post Edited (01-26-04 12:45)

Re: Web Site Online now
Date: January 26, 2004 12:52PM

I really like the layout, Age, nice job!

Re: Web Site Online now
Date: January 26, 2004 01:57PM

Thanks. I only wish Windows rendered anti-aliased text like Macs. Looks much better :-)

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.usae.bah.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 02:00PM

you ARE in ILR aren't you? ... that would be your library screwy

Date: January 26, 2004 03:14PM

[Q]So it's a hockey fan club?[/Q]

Jordan, thanks for the question, because we think it is an important one.

We believe that to call the CHA a fan club and we believe (hope) that to call our young organization a fan club does not tell the entire story. We expect that our club will be filled with hockey fans and I'd like to meet other fans through a more personal forum than just eLynah, but we're not going to sit around this afternoon and just lament about this weekends loss.

I think we can all agree that there are some policies assoiciated with the distribution of tickets, inconsistent enforcement of rink rules, etc. that not every student agrees with. One of our goals is to work with the SA and with athletics so that policy is created by students, administrators, and student Faithful. The only way the student Faithful can expect to be heard during the creation of policy is if they are organized and present one strong voice.

The CHA allows student membership but many of the issues that they deal with are not student related. Also, because the majority of the membership of the CHA is made up of alumni, The Red Line will be able to accomplish different things on a different time; students don't have 60 hour a week jobs, a family to support, a home to take care of, etc. With that said, the CHA has given us their blessing and we will encourage our members to join the CHA. We would like to develop student fans that are active on campus so that when they graduate from Cornell, they can quickly become active as alumni boosters with the CHA.

The important point though is that our first meeting is this Monday and one of our main discussion points is going to be what direction would you like to see the organization go in? How can we, as students, make life better for the hockey players and the coaches and how can we at the same time make the Lynah experience more enjoyable for students? I don't think it is just coming up with new cheers...

We hope that generally answered the question and we hope to see you all at Kaufman Auditorium in Goldwin Smith Hall at 5 pm today!

Post Edited (01-26-04 15:16)

Date: January 26, 2004 06:25PM

Here is the agenda...I added some notes from the meeting

The Red Line
www.curedline.com
Monday, January 26, 2004
AGENDA

I. Introduction, Founding members

Adam Brown - atb9@cornell.edu
Justin Nachod - jan35@cornell.edu
Fred Trinkoff - fct2@cornell.edu
Avash Kalra - ak284@cornell.edu
Ari Baum - alb69@cornell.edu
Age Manocchia - am33@cornell.edu

b. Why the Red Line was founded

c. Goals for the rest of the semester

100 members, plan a road trip, build ties to the hockey program and its boosters

II. Membership Introduction

18 people showed up for the first ever meeting of The Red Line, including five of the six founding members. Thank you!!! Hope to see you Feb 9th!

III. Possible Bus Trips

a. RPI, Feb. 20

b. ECAC Championships, March 19 & 20

IV. Floor Hockey Intramurals as a way for membership to meet each other?

V. Open Floor

- Pregame get together for students as a way to encourage them to arrive to the game on time

- Create a pamphlet with the history of Cornell hockey and the words to the more popular cheers for new fans

- Anniversary celebration

VI. Next Meeting: Feb. 9 at 5 pm

Post Edited (01-26-04 18:27)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2004 06:33PM

Adam Brown wrote:
IV. Floor Hockey Intramurals as a way for membership to meet each other?
Damn... NOW I wish this had existed when I was a student! :-D

Date: January 26, 2004 06:34PM

Good introductory meeting today. We definitely need more members, though.

Anyone else realize that the web URL could be mistaken for "Cured Line"? :-P

Date: January 26, 2004 06:41PM

The meeting did go well. Everyone tell as many people as you can about this, and hopefully they can tell even more. It would be great to get to that goal of 100 and possibly even beyond.

And if people who weren't able to make it to the meeting (including non-students/alumni), any suggestions or comments would be welcome either on this thread or via email to any of the addresses Adam provided.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 07:29PM

I'm writing up a summary of the meeting now and will post it shortly to the website. I've also got an audio recording of it, but everything should be covered in the summary. If anyone really wants to hear it, let me know and I can post it.

Date: January 26, 2004 08:11PM

Meeting summary is posted, click the Meetings link on the website.

Date: January 26, 2004 08:19PM

Has the listserv been started up yet?

Date: January 26, 2004 08:46PM

Just sorting out the details. I'll probably post instructions before the Rangers game is over :-D

Date: January 26, 2004 08:48PM

Cowbell Guy wrote:

Just sorting out the details. I'll probably post instructions before the Rangers game is over :-D

Acknowledged. Didn't mean to rush you, take your time. :-)

Date: January 26, 2004 08:59PM

OftGwgRoV:

email me at atb9@cornell.edu

thanks!

Announce List Subscription
Date: January 26, 2004 10:39PM

To view the announce list archives, visit:

[curedline.com]

To subscribe, send an e-mail to:

announce-feed@curedline.com

Date: January 27, 2004 10:51PM

article in the Daily Sun tomorrow...back page...look for it! :-D

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2004 12:02AM

hey guys

alum here down in Vestal. this would be a good way to set up get togethers and what not for away trips too :)

good idea btw for this club

Date: January 28, 2004 12:55AM

well, we don't want to step on the toes of the CHA since 5/6 of our founding members are members of the CHA (soon to be 6/6, I think)...but we are working on road trips and we'll grow from just setting up road trips as the organization grows! thanks for the input! I don't want to get your hopes too high too soon... ;-)

Date: January 28, 2004 02:27AM

[Q]soon to be 6/6, I think[/Q]

Yep :-D

Date: January 28, 2004 04:55AM

Date: January 28, 2004 08:15AM

Read the article. With any luck, this will significantly boost student membership of the Red Line.

And, as I write this, I suddenly realize that Hahvahd Square is along the Red Line on the T in Boston. So I guess we've already fully colonized Lynah East. :-P

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: January 28, 2004 10:21AM

May I make another suggestion for the Red Line? As it is a Cornell student hockey association, perhaps there should be some effort to attend some women's games in addition to the men's games. Although the women have not had the same success the men have had of late, in the past, the women's teams have won ECAC titles.

Cornell women's ice hockey
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: January 28, 2004 10:58AM

Chris '02 wrote:
Although the women have not had the same success the men have had of late, in the past, the women's teams have won ECAC titles.
I think you mean Ivy titles. I'm pretty sure they've never won the ECACs (which was the de facto national championship until Minnesota started a women's team a few years back).

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.59.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2004 01:01PM

From the Sun article:
". . . and even instituting a screening process for fans to be allowed to sit in the coveted section B. "

rolleyes

Re: Cornell women's ice hockey
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: January 28, 2004 02:34PM

[q]Chris '02 wrote:
Although the women have not had the same success the men have had of late, in the past, the women's teams have won ECAC titles.

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
I think you mean Ivy titles. I'm pretty sure they've never won the ECACs (which was the de facto national championship until Minnesota started a women's team a few years back).

[/q]

Yeah...my knowledge of women's hockey history is clearly lacking. All the more reason to include them.

Post Edited (01-28-04 14:34)

Posted by: Section A Banshee (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2004 03:54PM

Yes the rink is desolate during women's hockey, and yes this is unfair to some degree. But, not only is the women's team not as talented as the men's team, but women's hockey in general is a more low-key less exciting sport. Add to that the fact that you're not allowed to taunt the other team (at least, the band was reprimanded for doing so) and you've got one boring venue.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 28, 2004 04:03PM

It's hardly "unfair" that people don't go to women's hockey games. Unfortunate maybe, but it's not a fairness issue.

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2004 04:48PM

got about 10 emails today saying i was in the paper. i remember the person taking it too. pretty cool. "cya! __, you goon!" figured i would do my own voiceover there nut

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2004 04:49PM

[q]Yes the rink is desolate during women's hockey, and yes this is unfair to some degree. But, not only is the women's team not as talented as the men's team, but women's hockey in general is a more low-key less exciting sport. Add to that the fact that you're not allowed to taunt the other team (at least, the band was reprimanded for doing so) and you've got one boring venue.[/q]

While women's hockey doesn't have the same amount of energy when it comes to hitting and aggressive play, they still give lots of effort and games can be very entertaining. This Sunday, the band will be at the game, so it's a good opportunity to go when some people will be in the stands.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2004 04:52PM

Here's another idea. Though this is probably the biggest stretch of all. See what the Red Line can do about organizing a student-run radio station or something similar to what Colgate has. Maybe this is more a task for the CHA, but I think the Red Line is probably much more pro-active at this point.

Posted by: radio guy (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2004 06:32PM

there already is a student run radio station...granted, not a cool one, and hardly many people know about it but there is one :-(

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2004 06:34PM

radio guy wrote:
there already is a student run radio station...granted, not a cool one, and hardly many people know about it but there is one :-(
Really? That's (good) news to me. There was a movement called TRU radio when I was there, but they didn't make a lot of headway. (I assume you're not talking about VBR.)

Date: February 01, 2004 09:21PM

I appreciate the compliment but we are a brand new organization. Something like that, if it were ever done, would be in the distant future. Plus, the last thing I would want is student game callers. In my opinion, we have the best game caller in the ECAC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login