Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schaffer Explodes

Posted by froboymitch 
Schaffer Explodes
Posted by: froboymitch (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2004 01:17AM

Aparently Schaffer exploded after the game tonight about Ref. Dupree. He missed big calls that led to the goals and injured our guys. The full article is on the game summary at www.uscho.com . Pretty interesting, and I'm also happy Schaffer finally said something because Dupree missed a lot of calls earlier on in the year as well.

Re: Schaffer Explodes
Posted by: Section A (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2004 01:27AM

Did anyone else infer from the game recap that Moulson and Hynes may be out with shoulder injuries?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2004 01:57AM

[q]Did anyone else infer from the game recap that Moulson and Hynes may be out with shoulder injuries?[/q]

Yeah, I read between the lines when Schafer said "out with separated shoulders."

uhoh

Posted by: dOwns (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2004 02:06AM

Ho-ly sh-it. Go *Schafer*..
Does anyone know if he said anything like that to the reffs during the game?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2004 02:09AM

Also wise of him to mention some of this things we did and got away with. Because there certainly were a handful of them this weekend....

Posted by: Ack (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2004 02:17AM

Explodes is right...the officiating kept lighting a few fuse again and again, closer and closer...I think the eye-charts will make a big comeback.

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 18, 2004 03:39AM

[RANT] I also am not trying to blame the loss on the officiating. Top teams fight past adversity, and figure out ways to win their games. But seriously, the past two nights, the officiating was horrendous, and all three teams have legitimate gripes.

Dupree is a blind, sheep f***ing, idiot, baaaaastaaaaard, who deserves to be hung by a rope on a tree. Hope Duffy has the balls to be objective and rid the ECAC of inept and incompetent refs like Dupree.[/RANT]

I wonder if Schafer is going to get reprimanded for speaking out against the officiating. I have a feeling that he might get a slap on the wrist, but because Duffy was at the game, I think Duffy will understand why Schafer was outraged.

Post Edited (01-18-04 03:41)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2004 06:33AM

Here is Adam's sidebar from the game report:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Schafer rarely unloads on the officials, but he had a clear message to send after Saturday night's game against RPI.

Schafer was particularly upset on hit from behinds that went uncalled, or were called obstruction instead, which led to two injuries. Cornell also got away with a hit from behind late in the game. Meanwhile, Schafer said, referee Joel Dupree was making marginal obstruction calls away from the play, two of which led to the game's only two goals.

"We've got an official who calls 'obstruction interference' when one of our best players, our leading scorer [Matt Moulson], gets hit head first into the boards," said Schafer. "What the [bleep] is obstruction interference when a guy is hit head first into the boards? That's not obstruction interference, it's a damn hit from behind.

"Shane Hynes is standing behind the net and gets his shoulder separated from a hit from behind head first into the boards, there's no call. Yet he's gonna call Charlie Cook for holding the stick away from the play and give them a 5-on-3?"

Dupree also blew a number of early whistles around the net, three of which nullified possible Cornell scoring chances, and another that nullified an RPI chance.

"Don't discredit [them]. I thought RPI, Nathan Marsters, played a helluva game. They did a great job," said Schafer. "And part of it's on our guys — we competed very hard to get back in it, they did a great job killing penalties, they executed on their 4-on-3, they did things that we didn't do. But the biggest thing is, Joel Dupree can't have that kind of influence on a hockey game. He's gotta protect Shane Hynes. He's gotta call a 5-minute major and kick the kid out of the damn game. And if he's not doing that, he's not doing his job. And if he's not getting the direction from the league on that, then shame on us.

"You think Nathan Marsters intentionally blew a wheel and knocked the damn net off? He knows it, everybody knows it, but he won't call it. Great play by Nathan, smart play, helluva smart play. I don't blame him. I just don't understand what we're looking at when we watch a game."

ECAC Director of Officials Paul Duffy was in attendance.

Schafer was quick to point out that he was upset with Friday night's game as well, a 1-1 tie with Union, refereed by Peter Feola. Both teams, Schafer said, got away with blatant obstructions while more innocent plays were called penalties.

"That's two of the most horse[bleep] refereed games back to back since I've been associated as a head coach in this league, and it's damn embarassing," Schafer said. "You've got three players in the last three games [at Lynah], a slash to the jaw, a hit from behind, a slash to the hand, another hit from behind, are all [bleeping] hurt because these guys won't protect the student athlete. I'm not asking for judgment calls, I'm asking them to protect the damn players in the game.

"For both teams. We kneed a kid last night in the Union game, and there's no penalty. It's a damn knee, and he should be penalized for two minutes.

"They gotta make a damn decision around here, are they going to protect the damn students or are they just going to let people run roughshod in our league. To me, they're letting people run roughshod and do what the [heck] they want. It's clear in the rink — everyone in the rink — Shane Hynes got drilled head first into the boards. I don't think anybody ever argues that. Where's the call? That's what I want to know."

Schafer said he hopes the league will review the weekend.

"Don't take anything away from RPI. We have to look within to the stupid penalties we took tonight, and judge ourselves on that," Schafer said. "But Joel Dupree has to judge himself on what the [heck] he was doing out here tonight, why two kids are out with separated shoulders and there's no call on either one of them. He's got to have the same kind of reflection on his performance."

— Adam Wodon

Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 11:09AM

I give schaffer so much credit for doing that. I was at both games and !have never seen worse reffing in my life. When shane hynes and matt moulson were hit from behind into the boards, there is no question that there should have been a penatly..not a two minute penatly...a five minute game misconduct for intent to injure. The refs need to make a statement and kick somebody out for doing that bullshit before it gets out of hand.

Posted by: yougoon (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 11:50AM

:-(
Friday against Union was VERY poorly officiated, but it didn't seem as dangerous (except to our standings.)
Saturday against RPI was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen and it was clear that RPI wanted to hurt us. I too think it is lame to blame a loss on the official, but wow. And I should be clear, it was Dupree, not the linesmen who stunk. Does anyone know the protocal for linesmen to make a penalty call? I think I saw a linesman try to call one of the hits, but it looked to me like he looked at Dupree to confirm, and he was shut down.
That game was not based in reality. I felt like I was watching a movie that had been dubbed with the words from another flick. Total disconnect.

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: January 19, 2004 01:29PM

Yes, Schafer made his comments "in the heat of the moment" after a loss, but I think there was much more strategy to his outburst than just emotions. I'm sure that the fact that Duffy was in attendance made the RPI game the perfect forum for Schafer to go public with comments that the rest of our league and the college hockey world knows to be problematic.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 02:11PM

yougoon wrote:
Saturday against RPI was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen and it was clear that RPI wanted to hurt us. I too think it is lame to blame a loss on the official, but wow.
If Moulson and/or Hynes is out for a while, we may find ourselves blaming future losses on DuPree. uhoh

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 02:18PM

I agree with RedAR. Not only was it the perfect forum because Duffy was there, but it's not like Schafer was venting just to vent. He had some strong points with what he was saying, and from what I've heard, his complaints were well-founded and were independently observed by many in attendance.

Schafer has class
Posted by: Steve Marciniec '85 (---.fluor.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 03:20PM

yougoon wrote:

:-(
I too think it is lame to blame a loss on the official, but wow. And I should be clear, it was Dupree, not the linesmen who stunk. Does anyone know the protocal for linesmen to make a penalty call? I think I saw a linesman try to call one of the hits, but it looked to me like he looked at Dupree to confirm, and he was shut down.
That game was not based in reality. I felt like I was watching a movie that had been dubbed with the words from another flick. Total disconnect.

For the record, Schafer did not blame the loss on Dupree, rather he gave credit to RPI. Even during his outburst, he showed his class.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 07:56PM

[Q]yougoon wrote:

Does anyone know the protocal for linesmen to make a penalty call? I think I saw a linesman try to call one of the hits, but it looked to me like he looked at Dupree to confirm, and he was shut down. [/Q] Assistant Refs can call penalties that the Ref can't see. I suppose that he was going to call one but Dupree indicated that he saw it and no penalty. Fortunately I think they rate each other as well as coaches rating them. Anyone know for sure?

Posted by: jy3 (---.nrp3feld.roc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 10:45PM

one of the linesman did call a penalty this weekend though

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login