Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Champ Belt

Posted by RedJeff20 
Champ Belt
Posted by: RedJeff20 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2003 12:02AM

Hi folks,

Does anyone know who is the current belt holder? I recall that Duluth beat Minnesota twice, but am not sure if Minnesota lost before that, or if Duluth had been beaten before losing to SCSU tonight.

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Champ Belt
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2003 12:34AM

Pretty easy to figure out...

Minny lost to Maine 4-0 to start the season on 10/10

Maine lost to BC 4-1 tonight

BC has the belt

Wow, the WCHA and HEA... who woulda thunk it? ;-)

P.S. I just wanna clarify. When I said "pretty easy to figure out", I just meant "...and I'm bored so I'll do it"... it didn't mean "why didn't you do it yourself, lazy ass?!?". Just to clarify before anyone gets offended.

Post Edited (11-08-03 00:59)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 08, 2003 12:41AM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

BC has the belt

BC next plays an ECAC team (Dartmouth) on Tue. 11/25. Between now and then, BC plays UNH, UMass, Merrimack, and Providence. Provided BC can get past UNH tomorrow night, I think BC stands a good chance of holding onto the belt until Dartmouth. Though, in all likelihood, BC will hold onto it past Dartmouth as well. :-/

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2003 12:15PM

Oops. Kinda forgot to update it. heh

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.89.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2003 12:34PM

And is it time to start counting down to the Harvard game? :-D

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2003 02:30PM

Although the belt is a cool idea, I really think it doesn't work very well, especially when we get to the part of the season where all teams do is play conference games. It gets stuck in one conference and then doesn't leave. I guess maybe I feel that the ECAC is kinda left out (but then again, we haven't been doing very well out-of-conference lately).

Date: November 08, 2003 02:54PM

Chris '02 wrote:

Although the belt is a cool idea, I really think it doesn't work very well, especially when we get to the part of the season where all teams do is play conference games. It gets stuck in one conference and then doesn't leave. I guess maybe I feel that the ECAC is kinda left out (but then again, we haven't been doing very well out-of-conference lately).

Well, the problem is the championship belt tends to favor the conferences that are top-to-bottom better than others. Unfortunately, we have to admit that most of the time, the belt will remain within Hockey East or the WCHA. If my quick reading of Age's belt listing is correct, the only non-WCHA/HE teams to hold the belt since the concept was created in 2000 were Michigan on two occasions, 11 and 12 days respectively, and Clarkson for a single day. Even taking into account the obscene ~200 days or so the national champion gets to hold onto the belt during the offseason, 24 total days in three seasons is pretty pathetic (and 1 day for the ECAC is even moreso).

Basically, yeah, the belt is probably a bad idea, given the ECAC's relatively poor out-of-conference performance overall, but on the other hand, the belt is totally unofficial and is just a fun thing for fans to track. In other words, if you like the belt and follow it, great; if you don't like the belt, there really is no need to follow it.

Posted by: RedJeff20 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2003 12:49AM

OK, so I should have been more forthcoming in my motivation for the post. Though I was well aware of who the actual belt holder was, I felt kind of rude asking Age to simply update it. I just wanted to start a thread to alert Age to the fact that it has not been updated in some time because some "friends" of mine from Harvard (sucks) commented on it.

Cheers

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: November 10, 2003 10:20AM

You weren't the first person to point it out. Just low on my eLynah priorities list. But since it takes about 11 1/2 seconds to do, I should just do it, eh? Well, anyway, it's up to date now :-)

Posted by: Cornell Fan (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2003 02:01PM

I was poking around on the USCHO forum, and a post by RPIRED gave me an idea (well, actually it was really his idea, but I thought to expand on it here).

[board.uscho.com]

Anyway, in his pseudo-league listings, he started to track an ECAC belt (which Cornell currently holds, of course :-) ), and I thought it would be cool if Age added individual league belts to the belt tracking page, in addition to the current championship belt. This way the conferences that don't win the championship belt as much would have something fun to follow as well. Of course the league belts could only be won/lost by teams of their respective leagues. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2003 04:09PM

Would games played against members of your own league, but in holiday tournaments for instance, count?

Post Edited (11-11-03 16:09)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-wa.caltech.edu)
Date: November 11, 2003 08:45PM

We've kicked around ECAC Champ Belt threads now and then. Personally, I think only RS and conference playoff games should count. NC and NCAA tourney games shouldn't be conference title belt contests.

Date: November 11, 2003 10:34PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

We've kicked around ECAC Champ Belt threads now and then. Personally, I think only RS and conference playoff games should count. NC and NCAA tourney games shouldn't be conference title belt contests.

Sounds good to me. A team shouldn't be potentially penalized (by possibly being forced to put the ECAC belt on the line) in a non-conference game that happens to be against a same-conference opponent (i.e., like the Clarkson vs. Colgate game in Ottawa last season).

I forget, what is the policy regarding ties?

Posted by: ugarte (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2003 01:43AM

I think it would be better if all games counted towards even the conference championship belts, with the belts awarded at the end of the regular season. Of course, it would be pretty depressing if all of the belts ended up in the WCHA.

Date: November 12, 2003 07:31AM

bigredapple wrote:

I think it would be better if all games counted towards even the conference championship belts, with the belts awarded at the end of the regular season. Of course, it would be pretty depressing if all of the belts ended up in the WCHA.

Under that system, Alaska-Fairbanks would already have the ECAC belt. nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 16, 2003 03:32PM

BTW, Maine lost the Belt to BC November 7.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2003 06:21PM

[Q]I think it would be better if all games counted towards even the conference championship belts, with the belts awarded at the end of the regular season. Of course, it would be pretty depressing if all of the belts ended up in the WCHA.[/Q]
The other issue with this is that all belt would eventually unify. If two teams come in with two different belt, one team would leave with both (given there's not a tie), and then there'd be no way to separate them again.

Plus, it wouldn't be much of an "ECAC belt", it's really just be NCAA Belts 1 through 6.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login