Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Gigantic Upset Tonight

Posted by calgARI '07 
Gigantic Upset Tonight
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2003 02:08AM

UNH fell to Niagara 5-2. This is after Niagara was beat pretty bad by a crappy Hockey East team UMASS-Lowell last night (6-1).
There have certainly been unordinary amount of upsets this year, but this is Definitely the biggest of the year, IMO.
Other notables included Clarkson tying Colorado College, Union tying Bowling Green and Dartmouth falling to the strongest Canadian school, St. Francis Xavier. I should say, however, that I think that Dartmouth is going to surprise a lot of people this year in how bad they are. I do not think they will finish in the top half of the ECAC. What carried Dartmouth last year was not the commonly accepted top line, but the defensive stalwarts Trevor Byrne and Pete Sommerfelt. Jessiman is intensely overrated.

Re: Gigantic Upset Tonight
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2003 06:45AM

According to the Washington Post (that timely source of college hockey news), 7 members of the UNH team were suspended for the weekend due to team rules violations which roughly translated to going to the trim triangle, getting drunk and acting like morons after the Sox choked away the pennant -- another Fine Intellectual Moment in the South End. That probably had a lot to do with it.

Post Edited (10-26-03 06:46)

Posted by: Rob '98 (---.uspto.gov)
Date: October 26, 2003 10:47AM

The ppl on uscho were saying 8 guys were suspended and Caron was serving a 1 game for a spearing incident. It will be ineteresting to see how that affects UNH this season (cost them a 1 seed down the road maybe?). I assume that there werent shorthanded else the coach was being foolish to have them all serve at once.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 11:53AM

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was about the World Series :-D

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 12:40PM

The sizeable "Yankees suck!" chant in Section A last night was kind of amusing....

The funny thing is, a lot of Yankees fans I know were so drained from the Boston series that they seemed not to really care at all during the World Series.

Post Edited (10-26-03 12:40)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 26, 2003 02:29PM

The coach was foolish to sit them all at once? Nonsense. The players got suspended for violating team rules. If you want to send the message that team rules must be obeyed then you suspend the players, regardless of the consequences on the ice. If you suspend two players per game for 4 games you are saying that the rules kind of matter, but aren't that important.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: October 26, 2003 03:12PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

The coach was foolish to sit them all at once? Nonsense. The players got suspended for violating team rules. If you want to send the message that team rules must be obeyed then you suspend the players, regardless of the consequences on the ice. If you suspend two players per game for 4 games you are saying that the rules kind of matter, but aren't that important.
But it is common practice when a lot of players are suspended at once.

Date: October 26, 2003 03:25PM

The theory being that the other players ought not to be punished by weakening their chances to win.

Now, I know to some people that might seem a fig leaf for hypocrisy, but I assure you... nothin to see here... move along...

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.12.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2003 03:42PM

Didn't that happen in a Knicks-Heat series? The league spread out the suspensions so the teams would have enough players to actually play with substitutions. It's slightly different when the punishment comes from the league and the stupid behavior (fighting, leaving the bench, etc.) comes during a game - when the players really should know better.

Posted by: Rob '98 (---.uspto.gov)
Date: October 26, 2003 04:27PM

Well, I did say IF they were shorthanded. Let's say hypothetically that suspending all 8 meant they had only 7 forwards and therefore couldnt even field 3 full lines? Would it be so egregious if he only suspended 6 for that specific game so he could have 3 lines? What if 15 guys broke curfew (as I recall a couple of Cornell player were suspended for this reason a couple years back)? Is the coach suppose to forfeit the game?

As for 2 per game for 4 games, no I would find that wrong. That would send the message that it doesnt matter like you said.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 04:34PM

I don't think games should be forfeited unless the entire team was at fault for some infraction. Otherwise, forfeited games just punish the players who supposedly followed the rules and did nothing wrong.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: October 27, 2003 10:37AM

The sizeable "Yankees suck!" chant in Section A last night was kind of amusing.
Maybe for you. I know this has been beaten to a bloody pulp, but you Yankee-haters need a better hobby. Ever think how utterly petty you come off as?

[q]The funny thing is, a lot of Yankees fans I know were so drained from the Boston series that they seemed not to really care at all during the World Series.[/q]
It's not that we didn't care. We just know how to accept loss with dignity, no doubt a foreign concept to some of you. Go on back to making fun of Mariano's expression of emotions in game 7 that you find so amusing.

Date: October 27, 2003 09:36PM

[Q]We just know how to accept loss with dignity[/Q]
Yes, Yankees fans tend to lose pretty well - it's easy when you have a 5/6ths shot of being in the World Series again the next year.

But (this isn't a shot at you Age... I've never been around you as a Yankees fan), it's about 50/50 odds that any given Yankees fan is gonna be the worst damn winner possible. Having watched plenty of baseball in the dorms over the last several years, that's about the ratio.

Posted by: Dale (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2003 07:26PM

I don't seem to recall any "Yankees" that play hockey! Who the hell are they and who the hell cares?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2003 07:29PM

Dale wrote:

I don't seem to recall any "Yankees" that play hockey!
Down here in N'Awlins, they tell me nobody but Yankees plays hockey!

Post Edited (10-29-03 19:52)

Date: October 29, 2003 08:41PM

Can we please pass the "Hitler Rule" for "Yankees"?

(i.e., whenever anybody uses the word "x," either pro or con, that post is deleted)

Date: October 29, 2003 09:23PM

[Q]Can we please pass the "Hitler Rule" for "Yankees"?

(i.e., whenever anybody uses the word "x," either pro or con, that post is deleted)[/Q]
Or they're elected governor of Cal-ee-forneea... < rim shot > upto

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 30, 2003 08:04AM

I second the suggestion.

Although expand it to a general range of baseball topics so both sides can be equally pissed off.

JH

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 11:10PM

Cowbell Guy wrote:I know this has been beaten to a bloody pulp, but you Yankee-haters need a better hobby. Ever think how utterly petty you come off as?
Wait, isn't that what the Harvard folks say about Cornell? :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login