Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Music

Posted by Mike Steinfeld 
Music
Posted by: Mike Steinfeld (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2002 11:39PM

Since Gary Glitter and Macho Man and other random music with hockey has been discussed, I just had a couple things to say/ask.

It's pretty much too late for a new set of cheers this year, but if anybody has any special requests for songs or cheers they'd like to hear the band play, please tell me. As the arranger of the much maligned Macho Man, I'd much rather hear a poor song appreciated than a good song (not that I'm calling Macho Man good) groaned at. I have a 80% finished arrangement of Styx's Blue Collar Man, and probably around a 50% finished arrangement of Aguilera's "Come on Over," but other than someone else arranging "Video Killed the Radio Star," I don't believe there's any other new (full pepband) music for this season, though I could be wrong. Before *SOMEONE* asks, I do have a 50 second arrangement of the Power Puff Girl's theme sitting around gathering dust. Any song that attempts to drag the band kicking and screaming into the 90's is even better.

Second, and more importantly, one of the bones, Rico Screpka to be precise, arranged "Roll Out the Barrels", and proposed some lyrics to it. Would people be interested in singing said lyrics should the bones play said song at a hockey game? Or in writing new ones? Here are the current two standing versions:

Roll Out Your Goalie, by Rico (Play, Sing, Play)

Roll out your goalie
We'll have three periods of fun
Roll out your goalie
We'll have your team on the run
Then bring out the safety
He'll cry for his mommy tooooo
Get on the ice so we can make a fool of you!

--And/Or--

Grease up your five hole
You'll have a five hole of fun
Grease up your five hole
Wider by the time we're done
Then cry to your mother
Her five hole's wider than yooouuu
Get on the ice so we can make a fool of you!

Alternatively, maybe make it into LeNeveu's song? (Here comes LeNevue?).

Alright, I'll go back to lurking about now. I can send you any of the arrangements I've mentioned above (except Video Killed) in .mid or .nwc form if you want to listen to them in stunning electronic instrumental quality.

Mike

Re: Music
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:18AM

I've been thinking the Specials' "Message to You Rudy", properly arranged, would make a great pep band song (fun for the bones, and the winds could imitate the harmonica), although I suppose that would be dragging the band back to c.1980. Can't say I'd object to hearing the Power Puff theme ("So once again, the Game is Saved!";)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:38AM

I can't imagine how you'd make that a pep band song, but it is one of the coolest songs ever.

Alas, it doesn't contain the all-time greatest lyrics in a Specials song:

And she thinks that he'll be happy
When he's hanging out the nappies.
If that's a happy marriage
I prefer to be
Unhappy.

Take him away!
Date: February 09, 2002 01:52AM

"Rude boy, you have led me to believe that you was goin' out with this girl and she left you and married someone else. So you got drunk and smashed up your ex-girlfriend's property!"

Date: February 09, 2002 01:58AM

BTW, it will take some doing to top the Yale pep band's addition of "Uncle Fucka" (speaking of clever vulgarity) to their repertoire.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:18AM

Not to mention Afro Man's "Because I Got High."

Posted by: melissa '01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 11:10AM

ok....thought about this one earlier in the year....kinda crazy and might be a lot of work since you could only get one year outta it but it'd be a lot of fun.

Think Madonna's "Like a Virgin" but with the words

"Like a McRae, Whooooo
Scoring for the Umpteenth time!
Like a MaaaaaCrae
Let your Goalie Weep and wayyyyayyyayne (whine)

i think the song itself is something the crowd could have tons of fun with!

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2002 12:04PM

Am I the only one who finds most lyrics-changed-to-something-about-Cornell-Hockey incredibly annoying? Sure, "Hey Bâby" is amusing, but for every one of those, there are 50 ill-fated ideas. I'd rather sing the Schafer beer jingle than the new alternate lyrics ANY day.

I just can't help but feeling like a 3rd grader doing a poor imitation of Weird Al Yankovic when I sing those damn things. The Lynah Faithful should not be frooty. B-]

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 12:26PM

I'm with Lowell.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.12.252.64.snet.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 12:35PM

You're just jealous of the most excellent Underhill lyrics

;-)

Posted by: Shorts (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:12PM

If the band should start playing "Like a Virgin", perhaps it should be the arrangement from Moulin Rouge. The following was in the Feb. 6 Daily Sun, in reference to the Lady Icers:

they all were swept away by a viewing of The Moulin Rouge and its "...incredible sound track", so said ECAC player of the week Brooke Bestwick.

Also on that same soundtrack: "Elephant Love Medley"

-Shorts

Posted by: Admin (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:48PM

Maybe I should make a sandbox for you two, too, then.:-P

Posted by: Graham '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:06PM

I agree, unless it is something incredibly obvious like Hey Bâby, rewriting song lyrics is really kinda lame. By the way, is there any way the band could try to play Hey Bâby when the big man is on the ice? I know it's tough, because you have to queue up songs without knowing when there will be a stoppage, but that has always bothered me a little.

Posted by: jason (---.summit01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 04:16PM

One song that I've always enjoyed (but it's an orchestra piece, not sure how well the string portions would translate to horns) is the main theme (it plays during the opening credits) to the movie Untouchables called "The Strength of the Righteous" --if nothing else, you can't beat that title!

Date: February 09, 2002 06:18PM

> Am I the only one who finds most lyrics-changed-to-something-about-Cornell-Hockey incredibly annoying? Sure, "Hey Bâby" is amusing, but for every one of those, there are 50 ill-fated ideas.

Thank you! Yes. Bingo. Agreed. Where do I sign?

Posted by: Rico (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 02:47AM

Okay.. I am not being biased.. at least I hope not, but I rather like my idea. I think it was your rendition of Roll Out Your Mother that inspired me, Lowell ;-)

But yeah.. I can see with more popular songs, it can be kinda hokey... I dunno.. my lyrics aren't directed towards any one proper noun.. I mean I know Murray was sad that he didn't have a cheer, so we just decided "uhhh... Twilight Zone, yeah, that's for Murray".. then the McCrae's, then Ben Wallace will want something from Braveheart, and Cook will want the Iron Chef theme, and then.. I dunno.

And I am pretty sure that Underbone existed before the Underhill lyrics did.

Yeah I guess I am biased, but do you see what I am trying to say?

-Rico

Posted by: Melissa '01 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 10:10AM

I know that I personally don't feel one way or another about new lyrics to old songs. It may be lame but at the same time it's kinda fun to sing along. I just know that some of the guys wish that they too had songs about them (and that the entire Lynah crowd was cheering them on, screaming their name in unison). B-]

Still, I guess once it starts there'd have to be one for everyone and that is just too DAMN much.

Date: February 10, 2002 05:56PM

On the other hand, if anyone can come up with a good lyric including the words "Krzysztof Wieckowski"...

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 06:12PM

cause i'm lazy, i've shortened krys' name when cheering for him. this nickname could easily be fit into a cheer - if it wasn't viewed as offensive to the majority of the population...:-D Every once in awhile i slip up and scream it out loud only to be met with very curious yet puzzled stares.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 07:41PM

Alright, I'm curious. What do you call him? I promise not to be offended.

Changing lyrics?
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2002 08:42PM

Well, not all songs with lyrics changed to suit Cornell are lame... "Give my regards to Davy" is one that springs to mind...

Re: Changing lyrics?
Posted by: Lowell '99 (140.251.4.---)
Date: February 10, 2002 09:08PM

Touche, Keith.

[But gosh darnit, you know what I mean.]

On a related note, I was procrastinating on ivyleaguesports.com today by looking at the words to the other schools' fight songs. Ours is the best by far. I actually wrote in to SI a few months ago when Rick Reilly did his bit on college fight songs, saying that a tune about getting booted from school for drinking should not go overlooked! Alas, I was denied my fifteen minutes of fame. Sure, I'm biased, but so was everybody else who wrote in!

Date: February 11, 2002 12:46AM

You mean other than "KRZYSZ-TOF WIE-CKOW-SKI (clap-clap clap-clapclapclap)"?

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 01:17AM

Speaking of music, why has the band stopped playing the Gummy Bears Theme. I enjoyed it earlier in the season and even bothered to learn the words because, come on, it's funny. But then they mysteriously stopped playing it. What gives?

Posted by: Rico (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 01:27AM

Well, we trombones are the ones who play Gummi Bears. I dunno.. we have a lot of things that we don't play, I can't really say why we don't. rolleyes

Posted by: Mike Steinfeld (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 02:48AM

Ha, I *can* say what we don't generally play but could...

A*Team
Gummi Bears
Little Bit of Soul
Sesame Street
Knight Rider
For the Longest Time
Cheers
Jump
Love in an Elevator
The Bud Song
Flaming Moe
Roll Out the Barrels
Good Night Sweetheart
Flight of the Valkryes
Superfreak

I believe that covers 90% of the only real section of the marching/pep band's playlist. There are a few more that were played once or twice then scrapped, and a couple others that have yet to make any kind of debut, but that covers most of it. Generally speaking though, other sections get pissy and feel left out if we show them up badly enough by playing our own stuff. --grin--. However, since the pep band attendence is a bit more sporadic all around, oftentimes they're missing a neccesary part or two. If you want to hear one of the above at a game (no promises on some of them... like Knight Rider for instance), just let one of them know before hand so they know to bring the music and to run it before the game to make sure all the parts are there.

Mike

Posted by: getred (148.170.70.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:28AM

I'm with Lowell. Alternative lyrics, unless they're very witty (and lyrical), generally sound pretty lame.

As to "Underbone," it does pre-date Underhill, going back to at least the late '70s. However, as any trumpet can tell you, the correct lyrics to Underbone are, and always have been, thus:

Trombones Suck, Trombones Suck,
Trombones Suck!
Trombones Really, Really Suck,
Trombones Suck

;-)

Date: February 11, 2002 12:00PM

> As to "Underbone," it does pre-date Underhill, going back to at least the late '70s

Maybe, but the first time I heard it was with Underhill, and I've been going to games since 1981.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 11, 2002 12:39PM

Greg, you've been singing along with it for more years than Underhill's been our goalie. Have you been hit on the head recently? :-{)}

Beeeej

Re: Changing lyrics?
Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 11, 2002 12:40PM

So's the Alma Mater (set to the tune of "Annie Lisle";). And "The Evening Song"...

Beeeej

Posted by: Mike Steinfeld (132.236.216.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 02:33PM

Ironically enough, we took Underbone from Harvard more than two and a half decades ago (ie, before I was born) during one of the marching band seasons.
On that topic, also entertaining, probably around six or seven of our cheers come from the CCT Cheersheet which stands for... you guessed it... the Cheers of Clarkson Tech some time back in the 70's I think.

Ah well. :-p

Mike

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 02:42PM

CCT = Clarkson College of Technology

Date: February 11, 2002 03:10PM

> Greg, you've been singing along with it for more years than Underhill's been our goalie.

Maybe I have been hit on the head.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login