Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey Sightings

Posted by Pete 
Cornell Hockey Sightings
Posted by: Pete (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2003 05:20PM

Noticed somebody on TV wearing a Cornell hockey jersey behind homeplate at Fenway park today, was that anybody here? Great game, Go Sox! :-}

Re: Cornell Hockey Sightings
Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2003 11:30PM

I saw him as well. And he had better seats than Boston GM Theo Epstein. Maybe we should make freinds with him for tickets to Harvard. :-)

But next time, try not to confuse soil the great Red of Cornell by wearing it to support that icky red of sox. (Go Yanks!) ;-)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 06, 2003 12:08AM

Amen Rich!

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2003 12:39AM

rolleyes

Let's go RED.....Sox!

(Has a NY vs. Boston poll question been done before?)

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: October 06, 2003 08:52AM

I was at the game, but in the bleachers. Incredible game. I'll have to check my TiVo copy to see the Big Red fan - good to see there's others of us with our heads on straight among The Faithful... :-P

Screw the Yankees.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2003 10:36AM

Worry about beating the A's first...who's going to "close" after Pedro pitches his usual 6 innings? :-D

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: October 06, 2003 10:49AM

Rumor had it that the entire Bruins team was to be behind home plate for the game too... anyone able to confirm? (Like you TiVo folks out there...)

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.boston.tufts.edu)
Date: October 06, 2003 11:03AM

You gonna tell me the sox haven't found a closer in Williamson? Go Sox!!!

-J

Convenient how wearing my Cornell Frozen Four shirt goes very well with my Sox cap (visor bent)

Posted by: Erica (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: October 06, 2003 12:06PM

Actually, I was rather amused when I saw Pedro warming up in the 8th inning of, I believe, the third game. When it comes down to it, if Little really trusts the bullpen, why would he have Pedro warming up? and he wasn't just throwing just to throw, he was warming up in anticipation of entering the game.

Date: October 06, 2003 12:12PM

I don't think any Sox fan trusts a good portion of that bullpen. And I don't think any Yankee fan trusts some of the guys in their bullpen either. If there's one thing that both fan bases can agree on...is that both teams have had rip-yer-hair-out frustration with relief pitching this year. Hey Sox fans...what's your favorite brand of antacid? :-)

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: October 06, 2003 12:18PM

I know that Rich, and I personally think that Theo Epstein would have been fired if he hadn't remotely improved the horrendous bullpen he put together before the season. My only beef with Little is that he always quotes that he absolutely 100% trusts little Kim and he would never hesitate to go to any of the middle relievers when the time comes, er, that is, when Pedro isn't available to play superhero. Anyway, I can't wait for tonight's game.

Date: October 06, 2003 01:29PM

How many solid outings has Williamson had as a closer? If he were so trustworthy, wouldn't he have gotten the call all this time rather than Kim?

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.boston.tufts.edu)
Date: October 06, 2003 01:36PM

Evidently (yes, here come his excuses) there were some family issues distraqcting him. He has been solid this week. Here's to at least one more game of that.... Theo needs to work on judgement with regards to pitchers but his recruitment of batters has been phenomenal! Let's Go Red (Sox)!!!!!

-John

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 06, 2003 02:00PM

There is no one the Red Sox would rather have on the mound than Pedro. It's October and at this point you stop worrying about pitch counts and workload and such. There's a long history of seeing top starters pitch relief in the World Series.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2003 02:23PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Recall Johnson coming in for Schilling in Game 7. Who were they playing again? ;-)

Can't wait for the game tonight....

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2003 02:39PM

Avash '05 wrote:
(Has a NY vs. Boston poll question been done before?)
Ew. That poll needs a "None of the above" option. yark

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: October 06, 2003 03:16PM

Lots of baseball issues - hopefully I don't miss one:

Williamson - he'd been bothered by personal issues. His wife gave birth to their baby pre-maturely right about the same time he was traded, and they recently both overcame all of their complications, which is about the time he started pitching better. He's their best option right now, although historically he's had problems with walks.

Kim - his head is a mess, and the Boston Herald reported this morning that he doesn't want to pitch anymore in this series after Grady lifted him in game 1. Rumor has it that if they win tonight, they'll leave him off the ALCS roster. The team says he's been having shoulder problems, but I think they're just scared to death of pitching him in the late innings. They plan on moving him into the rotation next year, which will be good for him and the team.

Pedro - I'm convinced the only reason he was warming up the other night was to get the crowd going. He was running around the bullpen in a cowboy hat, for god's sake. They never wanted to pitch him until game 5, but if they absolutely had to, they might have.

Yanks - their 'pen was jittery until recently, but they seem to have it under control with all of their acquisitions. If they can hit, they're the team to beat, no doubt, but they've got holes like everyone else. I'm a lot more worried about the Sox' relievers than the Yanks'.

Theo - no way he would have been fired over the 'pen. Other than Mendoza and Jeremy Giambi, every off-season move that he made has worked out pretty well. Kim, Sauerbeck, Suppan and (until recently) Williamson have flopped collectively, but considering what they had earlier in the season, they were much better alternatives that just didn't work out. Don't forget that this team had a higher slugging percentage than the 1927 New York Yankees. He's obviously doing something right.

Tonight - should be crazy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this one went to extra innings too, as I think Pedro and Zito will both be dominant. I'm having a hard time focussing on work. Not quite at "the week before Frozen Four" levels, but up there...

Date: October 06, 2003 03:56PM

Sully '00 wrote:

Kim - They plan on moving him into the rotation next year, which will be good for him and the team.
If they keep him. The middle-finger incident Saturday required quick damage-control, he's not endeared himself to the Boston media or fans and I'm sure that Boston could get pretty fair value for him. You better believe that Kim and his agent will demand that he return to starting.

[Q]Theo - no way he would have been fired over the 'pen. [/Q]

Agreed. Grady Little would go before Epstein. Theo had already reached cult-status in New England even before the deadline deals. And yes, I'm bitter because he's 3 months older than I am and already has a much cooler job than I'll ever have. One of the greatest things to watch is the good-natured rivalry between Yankee GM Brian Cashman and Theo. (Even with the "Evil Empire" blast that Lucchino got off during the off-season) The Sox-Yanks Rivalry is in good hands with these two.

Regardless of who wins tonight, the Yanks are in good shape with a fully-rested pitching staff. If the Sox win, they won't see Pedro until Game 3, and will have to bring Lowe out to pitch outside of Fenway. Should the A's win, they can't start Zito, Hudson, Mulder, or Lilly in Game 1, and probably Lilly in game 2...depending on Hudson's condition.

The SF Chronicle is reporting that there are rumors that Hudson got hurt in a bar fight with a Sox fan Friday night. Pretty interesting, if true.
[www.sfgate.com]

Frankly, I think the country as a whole seems to be in the Cubs corner right now, as far as sentimental favorite, and I think they have the talent to beat anyone, ala 2001 D'backs.

Post Edited (10-06-03 16:00)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.65.246.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: October 06, 2003 04:06PM

Are you guys sure that was a Cornell hockey jersey? I saw what I thought was a red Cornell sweatshirt with white lettering. Or was there more than one?

As for the Sox slugging percentage, in the postseason good pitching almost always beats good hitting.

Posted by: rita marley (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2003 04:10PM

yankees allllllll the wayy

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 06, 2003 04:10PM

Why all the Red Sox talk?

Doesn't anyone really think -- should they get by the A's tonight -- that they're really going to beat the Yanks in the ALCS?

I mean, I'm as big a Yankeee hater as the next guy, but let's get serious here.

The Cubbies are our only hope.

Post Edited (10-06-03 16:12)

Date: October 06, 2003 04:58PM

Sully, I agree that he's done a decent job, but do you remember how horrendous the bullpen was in the beginning of the season? Maybe it's just that when I lived in Boston, the fatalistic attitude made it seem like they were worse than they actually were. My point isn't to compare it to the Yankees, my point is that most GM's wouldn't have the mostly unlimited resources ($$$$) that Theo had to be able to correct the bullpen. He did pretty much completely revamp it during the All-Star break. Not all teams have that luxury.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 07, 2003 02:12AM

Alex Ross claimed in an email to INCH that he was the man in the Cornell sweater.

One thing I know is that I am "the guy in the Cornell sweater". And no matter what the rankings have Cornell at, they are #1. They are gonna win it all. GO BIG RED! — Alex Ross
PS: GO SOX, 9 more W's to REVERSE THE CURSE

[insidecollegehockey.com]

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 07:35AM

Good man. Above, in the rankings for Cornell, it says, "Think Lynah tickets are tough? How 'bout the guy in the Cornell sweater a few rows ahead of Theo Epstein at Fenway on Sunday?" Well, obviously, he has experience in camping out. ;)

Posted by: gtsully (12.45.229.---)
Date: October 07, 2003 08:53AM

Adam Brown '03 wrote:

Alex Ross claimed in an email to INCH that he was the man in the Cornell sweater.

One thing I know is that I am "the guy in the Cornell sweater". And no matter what the rankings have Cornell at, they are #1. They are gonna win it all. GO BIG RED! — Alex Ross
PS: GO SOX, 9 more W's to REVERSE THE CURSE

Man, I was with him until that foolish "Reverse the Curse" comment. I can't believe people buy into that crap.

ALCS should be crazy. Go Sox!

Date: October 07, 2003 08:57AM

Erica wrote:

Sully, I agree that he's done a decent job, but do you remember how horrendous the bullpen was in the beginning of the season? Maybe it's just that when I lived in Boston, the fatalistic attitude made it seem like they were worse than they actually were. My point isn't to compare it to the Yankees, my point is that most GM's wouldn't have the mostly unlimited resources ($$$$) that Theo had to be able to correct the bullpen. He did pretty much completely revamp it during the All-Star break. Not all teams have that luxury.

I heard Larry Lucchino on the radio earlier this season, and he was talking about how Theo was actually pretty nervous about the bullpen in spring training, but the rest of the front office convinced him that everything would be fine, and that he was just having jitters before his first season. Lo and behold, he was right, and he did what he could to "fix" it.

And they didn't seem to be worse than they really were - they really were that bad. help But you can only take that "well, they have more money than the other teams" argument so far. Look at the Marlins.

Date: October 07, 2003 10:26AM

GRRRR!!!! :-(

Go Yanks!!!!! :-D

Date: October 07, 2003 10:57AM

[Q]Man, I was with him until that foolish "Reverse the Curse" comment. I can't believe people buy into that crap.[/Q]
I'm right with you, Sully. I enjoy the Yanks-Sox Rivalry as much as anyone, but I wish the media would stop it with the damn curse nonsense. They love it. The only bad thing about this ALCS is that we'll have to endure 80,000 references to it on the FOX broadcast alone. Any fan with a sign refering to it either way will get on TV. I'm sick of it, and I'm on the other side!

I'm actually thinking of trying to keep count of the number of time the word "curse" is uttered, or Babe Ruth is referenced during the broadcasts.

Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 10:57AM

Yankees suck. 'nuff said.

Sorry to contribute to meaninglessness of this thread, but I had to get a jab in against the Yankees.

Date: October 07, 2003 11:12AM

I try not to say too many good things about the Red Sox :-P but in keeping with the bullpen talk you have to commend Little for going with Lowe out of the bullpen. A couple innings out of the pen on his throwing day aren't going to hurt him in the least and he's probably the best choice out of the pen.

Date: October 07, 2003 11:25AM

I agree with Keith. When you don't want flyballs, Lowe's the right choice. And a tired sinkerball pitcher is generally an effective sinkerball pitcher, anyway.

I do hate to 2nd guess Ken Macha, but Zito was tiring in the 6th, and it was obvious before ManRam's HR. And Melhuse for Dye can be overlooked because of Melhuse's success in the series, even though I didn't agree with the move. Long struck out on the exact same pitch the previous batter did...he should've known it was coming. Then again, I'm not in the batter's box.

Date: October 07, 2003 11:26AM

So whats up with the very opiniated poll question? I guess it's clear who Age is rooting for :-P

Date: October 07, 2003 12:01PM

Rich H '96 wrote:
I'm actually thinking of trying to keep count of the number of time the word "curse" is uttered, or Babe Ruth is referenced during the broadcasts.

You'd lose count by the end of the pre-game show before game 1. I mean, if you can actually do it, more power to you, because I'd like to see just how badly it is beaten into the ground, but I just don't see how it's possible. It would only get worse if the Yanks take an early series lead or if somehow the Sox advanced to play the Cubs. But at that point, the world would end, so it doesn't really matter. nut

Either way, this series should be fun, and although it would give me an ulcer and/or a heart attack, I'm kinda hoping it goes seven.

Re: Curse
Date: October 07, 2003 12:21PM

The Red Sox have only themselves to blame for the continuance of the curse nonsense. All they had to do was win...just once since 1918! And you Sox fans are stuck with it...and them...though I do admire your loyalty. Hey, I'm a Clarkson grad, I know how it feels! :-D

So it's Buckner's fault!!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.z066088243.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: October 07, 2003 12:35PM

Speaking of Buckner, how freaky was that foul trickler at the end of the game last night. Curse or not, that was verrrrry creepy.

"Little roller up along first....BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner. Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it!!" :-)

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: October 07, 2003 12:37PM

Rich H '96 wrote:

I agree with Keith. When you don't want flyballs, Lowe's the right choice. And a tired sinkerball pitcher is generally an effective sinkerball pitcher, anyway.

I do hate to 2nd guess Ken Macha, but Zito was tiring in the 6th, and it was obvious before ManRam's HR. And Melhuse for Dye can be overlooked because of Melhuse's success in the series, even though I didn't agree with the move. Long struck out on the exact same pitch the previous batter did...he should've known it was coming. Then again, I'm not in the batter's box.
I also agree with the decision to pitch Lowe. Little certainly wasn't going to Kim. And I agree that Zito was obviously spent. I was really hoping that he wouldn't try to sneak another "fast"ball past Ramirez.

I agreed with Melhuse over Dye. Good platoon matchup, not to mention Melhuse's success in game 4. And I don't know what you do with a backup slider like that even if you know it's coming. Melhuse and Long both started bailing out, only to have the ball break back over the plate (if a bit high) for strike three.

The A's bigger problem was stupid baserunning. Why did Guillen go to third? Why did Dye try to go to second on the "collision" (you just know he wasn't running hard out of the box)? This happened to the A's throughout the series.

And the umpiring was horrible. I understand that the umps got the "rule" right on both the Mueller and Tejada interferences, but their judgment was wrong both times. And no matter how many announcers talk about "blocking the plate" as a skill, it is illegal when you don't have the ball. Byrnes should have been called safe on the obstruction.

All these errors make it difficult to call this series a classic. But not impossible. It was a riveting series, and a classic. Go Yankees.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 01:03PM

[q]I'm actually thinking of trying to keep count of the number of time the word "curse" is uttered, or Babe Ruth is referenced during the broadcasts.[/q]

Sounds like a new drinking game to me. :-P

JH

Date: October 07, 2003 01:08PM

[Q]And no matter how many announcers talk about "blocking the plate" as a skill, it is illegal when you don't have the ball. Byrnes should have been called safe on the obstruction.[/Q]

It's not illegal if you going for the ball. Since the throw was up the 3rd base line, Varitek had every right to block the plate in an attempt to field the throw. Great play by Varitek. Beside, Byrnes should have been called out for pushing Varitek when Varitek went to chase the ball down. Talk about interference, you can't push a guy just because you feel like it.

Posted by: me (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 01:26PM

Tejada needs to know the rules of baseball - he's not automatically awarded the next base if he's obstructed with. Obstruction isn't always a dead ball (although interference is, except for "catcher's interference";). If, in the ump's judgment, he would have advanced without the obstruction, then he's given the base. If he had kept running, there wouldn't have been an argument - the ump even admitted this after the game. He was going to give him the base, but he stopped running and therefore you couldn't tell that he was going to score. Because Tejada stopped running - assuming that it was a dead ball and he was going to be awarded the base - it wasn't clear that he was going to score. Macha even admitted that it was Tejada's fault. FWIW, the Commish and Supervisor of Umps said that it was the correct call too.

It's correct to say that it's illegal to block the plate if you don't have the ball. But look at the entire rule - "The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand." If the catcher is in the act of fielding the ball, they have every right to the plate that the runner has.

It was also correct to award Varitek home plate for that other obstruction call. He had already legally advanced to third, so any obstruction call after that awards him the next base - in this case, home.

There were actually three obstruction/interference calls in that game - they didn't call Byrnes for shoving Varitek after the collision at the plate. That should have been called interference - Byrnes would have been called out and it's a dead ball.

Classic? I don't know - maybe if you're a Sox fan. Dramatic - definitely. Another vote of confidence for the Wild Card system - absolutely, but now let's make it a 7 game series.

Date: October 07, 2003 01:58PM

me wrote:
If he had kept running, there wouldn't have been an argument - the ump even admitted this after the game. [/q]Agreed, to a point. If you want to blame Tejada (and Tejada certainly deserves some blame), fine. But I still think the judgment was the wrong one and he should have been awarded the plate (unless stopping was itself the crime - a tough interpretation).

[q]It's correct to say that it's illegal to block the plate if you don't have the ball. But look at the entire rule - "The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand." If the catcher is in the act of fielding the ball, they have every right to the plate that the runner has. [/q] In this case "fielding the ball" refers to fielding a bunt down the line, not waiting for a throw. Until the catcher has the ball, setting up a barrier in front of the plate while waiting for the throw -- explicitly and solely to obstruct the runner -- is illegal.

[q]It was also correct to award Varitek home plate for that other obstruction call. He had already legally advanced to third, so any obstruction call after that awards him the next base - in this case, home.[/q] I agree with your interpretation of the rule, I just don't think it was obstruction in the first place. Chavez was making a play on the ball - he reached up to catch it and missed, and the guy backing up the play caught it.

[q]There were actually three obstruction/interference calls in that game - they didn't call Byrnes for shoving Varitek after the collision at the plate. That should have been called interference - Byrnes would have been called out and it's a dead ball.[/q] I don't buy this at all. At the time of the shove, Byrnes should already have been awarded home plate. Byrnes was hopping around after being tripped by Varitek, and Varitek ran into Byrnes. As much as everyone (especially the broadcast crew) seems to think Byrnes shoved Varitek in anger over the collision at the plate, I think it was because Varitek ran into him as he was hobbling around. Varitek didn't even visibly diverge from his path to the ball from the "shove" from Byrnes.

Date: October 07, 2003 02:00PM

Dan '01 wrote:

[Q]And no matter how many announcers talk about "blocking the plate" as a skill, it is illegal when you don't have the ball. Byrnes should have been called safe on the obstruction.[/Q]

It's not illegal if you going for the ball. Since the throw was up the 3rd base line, Varitek had every right to block the plate in an attempt to field the throw. Great play by Varitek. Beside, Byrnes should have been called out for pushing Varitek when Varitek went to chase the ball down. Talk about interference, you can't push a guy just because you feel like it.
I addressed this in the response to "me". Wrong, and wrong.

Date: October 07, 2003 02:48PM

me wrote:

Tejada needs to know the rules of baseball - he's not automatically awarded the next base if he's obstructed with. Obstruction isn't always a dead ball (although interference is, except for "catcher's interference";). If, in the ump's judgment, he would have advanced without the obstruction, then he's given the base. If he had kept running, there wouldn't have been an argument - the ump even admitted this after the game.

While it is Tejada's fault, I doubt even a handful of MLB players knew the exact wording of that rule. Obstruction rarely happens normally. Having already seen it called once in the game, when the play was called dead, and the Sox runner was awarded home, it's easy to see how Tejada could make that mistake. Also, Tejada saw the ump mistakenly raise both hands in making the call, which usually means "the play is dead." Why risk an injury in a home-plate collision if he thought the play was dead?

The wording of the rule is vague at best, and it allowed the umps a loophole to get out of a potential sticky situation. It sure looks like a hypocrisy when you watch the 2 plays: Varitek was automatically given home when he was trying to get back to *third* base in a rundown (dead ball called), and Tejada was ruled out on a play where he would've scored easily had he not been tackled while rounding 3rd (no dead ball). By the rule, the explanation is passible, but Steve Palermo actually did some pretty hefty back-tracking after talking on the phone with Selig. MLB will twist the rules as much as they can to avoid looking like their representatives are to blame for any contraversy.

[Q]There were actually three obstruction/interference calls in that game - they didn't call Byrnes for shoving Varitek after the collision at the plate. That should have been called interference - Byrnes would have been called out and it's a dead ball.[/Q]

Well, Byrnes was out anyway, so the point is moot. In reading the post-game quotes, Byrnes said that he didn't realize that Varitek dropped the ball. He thought he was out, which explains his failure to go back and touch the plate. I fault the on-deck hitter for not doing more to get Byrnes to wake up.

People can scream all they want about the obstruction calls, but the bottom line is that in the end, the Sox had more timely hitting than the A's did (both teams hit about .212 in the series, and the Sox OBP was only .290...2nd worst in the first round) and got the job done.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 05:11PM

big red apple wrote:

Dan '01 wrote:

[Q] Wrong, and wrong.
I'm afraid those words apply to your argument. Sorry. The umps were dead right. And the A's are just dead.

Date: October 07, 2003 05:29PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

big red apple wrote:

Wrong, and wrong.
I'm afraid those words apply to your argument. Sorry. The umps were dead right. And the A's are just dead.
The only way you can come to this conclusion is to say that the umpires' failure to enforce this rule as written during the regular season acts as a precedent (which is fair, but infuriating). The rule as written just doesn't permit the catcher to block the plate without the ball - even if it is on the way. Varitek didn't even block the plate "in an attempt to field the throw". He blocked the plate with his left leg as he leaned into the infield to catch a throw going toward the first base line. What Varitek did is dangerous and the correct interpretation of the rule should be clarified and enforced properly.

Over the last few days I've come to grips with the fact that (1) everyone misinterprets the rule because they are used to catchers getting lauded for blocking the plate; and (2) practice trumps the written rule because nobody bothers to rewrite the rules when they become outdated (like the strike zone). But don't tell me that the rule was interpreted as written.

Post Edited (10-07-03 17:30)

Rule 7.06
Date: October 07, 2003 05:51PM

The relevant rule for obstruction calls is 7.06. It's too long to include, so I'll just link to it: [mlb.mlb.com]

When Varitek was interfered with by Chavez, it occurred when a play was being made on the runner interfered with. Therefore the play is ruled dead and the obstructed runner is awarded at least one base past the last he legally touched before obstruction. Thus varitek has to be awarded home. 7.06 (a)

When Tejada was interfered with, a play was not being made on him so the situation is governed by 7.06 (b). In this case, the umpire indicates that obstruction has occurred, play proceeds as normal until time is called. Then the umpire awards any bases he feels would have been awarded without the obstruction. This is specifically a judgement call. The rule notes that if a runner advances beyond a base which the umpire determines he would have been "awarded" without obstruction then he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. Thus Tejada is out when tagged unless the umpire was sure he would have scored without obstruction. I don't think this was certain given how shallow left field is in Boston and where Tejada was when Ramirez picked up the ball.

In both cases it's pretty clear from a reading of the rules that the umpires got the call right according to the rules, except that one can argue whether tejada would have scored without obstruction.

As for Varitek blocking the plate, rule 7.06 also covers this: [Q]The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand. [/Q] Now, one could argue that Varitek was attempting to field the ball when Byrnes arrived and therefore had a right to be there - he was reaching for the throw. But he clearly did not need to have his leg there to field the ball, so he was obviously violating the principle that "the base line belongs to the runner". As BRA says, this is simply a case of baseball practice over-riding the rules. Note that it's not just catchers - fielders routinely use their leg to block 2nd and 3rd when a runner comes in head first.

Date: October 07, 2003 06:05PM

I read another interesting fact about the Varitek - Byrnes play that I didn't process at the time: Varitek tagged Byrnes with his glove while holding the ball in his throwing hand - the tag wasn't legal! Byrnes should have touched the plate and argued the point to the ump. Byrnes didn't, so the point is moot, but it is an additional layer of weirdness to a very weird play. (Not that I expect the ump would have given Byrnes any satisfaction.)

Justice requires that the Yankees beat the Red Sox again.

Posted by: dsr11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 07, 2003 06:34PM

[Q]Justice requires that the Yankees beat the Red Sox again.[/Q]
Ahem.....you have that backwards, it should read

"Justice requires that the Red Sox kick some Yankee ass"

:-)

Posted by: gtsully (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 06:55PM

Dan '01 wrote:

[Q]Justice requires that the Yankees beat the Red Sox again.[/Q]
Ahem.....you have that backwards, it should read

"Justice requires that the Red Sox kick some Yankee ass"

:-)

Justice requires that the A's fans (and A's appologists) stop whining and that the Yanks and Sox just get ready to play ball. This is the freakin' tuck rule all over again, and while I love watching Oakland fans squirm, there's nothing more annoying than listening to people bitch about rules that were clearly enforced correctly.

For their sake, I hope the Yanks don't end up playing the role of the Steelers this year - the cocky favorites who underestimate their opponent and the complain that "the best team didn't really win." Although I would like it if that happened... :-D

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2003 07:48PM

[q]Classic? I don't know - maybe if you're a Sox fan. Dramatic - definitely. Another vote of confidence for the Wild Card system - absolutely, but now let's make it a 7 game series.[/q]

I could go into (more) length about this, but there's no need:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can't beat the sense of urgency that comes with every game in a best of 5.

Re: Rule 7.06
Posted by: me (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 07, 2003 10:10PM

I think the only thing left to argue is what constitutes "blocking the plate"? It's not as if Varitek (or any other catcher on any similar play) was lying across the plate. Byrnes could have avoided Varitek's leg with a better slide or by stepping over it.

Date: October 08, 2003 01:15AM

Sully '00 wrote:
For their sake, I hope the Yanks don't end up playing the role of the Steelers this year - the cocky favorites who underestimate their opponent and the complain that "the best team didn't really win."
First, as far as "cocky" I think you've identified the wrong team. Or maybe you haven't really looked at ManRam's or Lowe's acts recently. Or read the Walker/Millar quotebook from an unbiased angle. And from the war that the Sox gave the Yanks this whole season, one thing is for sure: nobody in pinstripes is underestimating them.

Second, maybe you're too young to know, but I always identify the University of Michigan hockey team as being the team who whines "the best team didn't win." I believe it was Brendan Morrison who said that in '97. And I'm sure a lot of us felt that way after the 2002 ECAC Finals. (Hey! Actual college hockey content! Hooray!) :-)

Post Edited (10-08-03 01:18)

Date: October 08, 2003 09:09AM

Rich H '96 wrote:

First, as far as "cocky" I think you've identified the wrong team. Or maybe you haven't really looked at ManRam's or Lowe's acts recently. Or read the Walker/Millar quotebook from an unbiased angle.

You're right - I was more referring to the Steelers and to Yankee fans, not the team. I know the teams respect each other. And yeah, the Sox are talking loud, but I don't think they'll break out the crying towel and make excuses if they lose.

As for Manny and Lowe... please. Ask Tejada exactly what he did with his hands when he caught the final out of game 2. I'll give you a hint: it involved his crotch. Keep whining, Oakland - I only wish Boston could beat you in the playoffs every year.

Second, maybe you're too young to know, but I always identify the University of Michigan hockey team as being the team who whines "the best team didn't win." I believe it was Brendan Morrison who said that in '97. And I'm sure a lot of us felt that way after the 2002 ECAC Finals. (Hey! Actual college hockey content! Hooray!) :-)

Hooray! Along the same lines, I think there will be about 100 people at the Bruins/Devils game tonight while the rest of Boston watches Game 1...

Date: October 08, 2003 11:14AM

Sully '00 wrote:
... A's appologists ... stop whining and that the Yanks and Sox just get ready to play ball. This is the freakin' tuck rule all over again, and while I love watching Oakland fans squirm, there's nothing more annoying than listening to people bitch about rules that were clearly enforced correctly.
To call me an "A's apologist" is to just miss the point. It isn't the A's I am arguing on behalf of, the A's just happen to be the beneficiaries. You may disagree with me, but of the two of us, trust me, I am the disinterested observer.

You want to disagree with me? Fine. (I've come around on the Chavez/Varitek and Mueller/Tejada interference calls.) But don't call people that disagree with you whiners. It makes clear that "rational" isn't where you want the argument to go. You just want to take your win, and don't want anyone ruining your party.

And, seriously, the tuck rule is bullshit.

Date: October 08, 2003 11:16AM

me wrote:

I think the only thing left to argue is what constitutes "blocking the plate"? It's not as if Varitek (or any other catcher on any similar play) was lying across the plate. Byrnes could have avoided Varitek's leg with a better slide or by stepping over it.
"Blocking the plate" is "obstructing the path to the base" not "foreclosing any possibility that a runner can get to the base." But I know (think? hope?) that you weren't being serious.

Date: October 08, 2003 11:33AM

Let's look at this realistically. The ball was being thrown to Varitek by the pitcher, who was 50 or so feet away. Even a 60mph throw goes 50 feet in a half-second. What was Varitek supposed to do? Stand two yards from the plate awaiting the throw and them move over to the plate to tag the runner after he got the ball? Use some common sense.

If the pitcher was still groping around on the ground for the ball when the runner reached the plate, Varitek would have been illegally blocking it. In fact, the ball was a small fraction of a second away when the runner got there. No one--neither Varitek nor the umpire--could have known which would get there first--or else umpires could make safe/out calls before either runner or ball arrived at first base on a ground ball.

In this case the umpire was right and the runner was a dope--as was the on-deck batter.

Date: October 08, 2003 11:46AM

big red apple wrote:

To call me an "A's apologist" is to just miss the point. It isn't the A's I am arguing on behalf of, the A's just happen to be the beneficiaries. You may disagree with me, but of the two of us, trust me, I am the disinterested observer.

You want to disagree with me? Fine. (I've come around on the Chavez/Varitek and Mueller/Tejada interference calls.) But don't call people that disagree with you whiners. It makes clear that "rational" isn't where you want the argument to go. You just want to take your win, and don't want anyone ruining your party.
Didn't mean to single anyone out, I was just making a broad generalization. From my experience in the last few days, there seems to be a clear correlation between Yankee fans and people who think the A's got screwed (as it would be for Sox fans if the shoe was on the other foot, BTW). Everyone's a little biased, but some people (like the A's themselves) do tend to "whine" about it ad nauseum.

Bottom line is that the A's couldn't seal the deal, the Sox were resiliant enough to came back from the brink - and no, I don't want anyone ruining my party. Happy now? :-P

And, seriously, the tuck rule is bullshit.
That made me laugh out loud. I agree the rule isn't a good one (as most Pats fans do, believe it or not), but the right call was made, by the book.

I'm obviously not making friends here, so maybe I'll just come back after the series and either take my medicine or try not to gloat... ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: October 08, 2003 11:57AM

I didn't actually see the play, but it sounds like a situation where the runner could/should have bowled over the catcher, who would never have caught the ball. Or am I missing something?

Date: October 08, 2003 12:04PM

Sully '00 wrote:

I'm obviously not making friends here, so maybe I'll just come back after the series and either take my medicine or try not to gloat... ;-)
I dunno. You've got a friend here on Cape Cod.:-P

Date: October 08, 2003 12:14PM

Sully '00 wrote:
You're right - I was more referring to the Steelers and to Yankee fans, not the team.
No doubt there will be whining from some Yankee fans if they lose. It happened in 2001, it happened in 2002. (But don't expect it from me.) Just like there will be whining from some sox fans if they lose. One pet peeve of mine is the lumping of a fan-base into one generalized entity: "All Yankee fans are cocky, arrogant, loudmouths" "All Red Sox fans are whiny losers." "All Dodger fans leave after the 7th innning." "All Colgate fans are drunken fratboys." "All Cornell fans swear every other word." I happen to be a Yankee fan who tries to be respectful when they win, and I'll take my lumps when they lose. And I promise not to gloat if my team wins, because really, losing to the Yankees is the ultimate punishment for Sox fans. :-D

Well, personally, Sully, I'll complement you on your level of decorum and intelligence in this discussion. There are some Sox fans who just sit there and scream "Yankees Suck!" in my face whenever I try to get into a serious discussion about The Rivalry. Best of luck in not suffering a nervous breakdown this week to you, and if you'll excuse me, I have to find my heart medication myself. :-)

Post Edited (10-08-03 12:15)

Date: October 08, 2003 12:33PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

Let's look at this realistically. The ball was being thrown to Varitek by the pitcher, who was 50 or so feet away. Even a 60mph throw goes 50 feet in a half-second. What was Varitek supposed to do? Stand two yards from the plate awaiting the throw and them move over to the plate to tag the runner after he got the ball? Use some common sense.
Come on Al, you can't mean this. Varitek didn't have to "stand two yards away" or even two feet away. He didn't have to stand two INCHES away. He could have straddled the plate until he had the ball and been in position to drop his leg to block the plate and to make the tag without obstructing the runner illegally.

Everytime I try to get out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN...

Date: October 08, 2003 12:36PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

I didn't actually see the play, but it sounds like a situation where the runner could/should have bowled over the catcher, who would never have caught the ball. Or am I missing something?
You are missing something. Varitek wasn't in the baseline. only his leg was. He was in a half-butterfly with his left leg across the plate.

I'll give this to Varitek: If baseball is going to allow this, that play should be in Tom Emansky's next defensive drills video. It was a PERFECT block.

Date: October 08, 2003 01:14PM

Sully '00 wrote:From my experience in the last few days, there seems to be a clear correlation between Yankee fans and people who think the A's got screwed.
Probably so, and I am rooting for the Yankees here, but in truth I live and die (mostly die) with the Pirates.

[q]
[q]And, seriously, the tuck rule is bullshit.[/q]

That made me laugh out loud. [/q]That's what I was going for. Nobody hates anyone here. Most of the time.

Post Edited (10-08-03 13:16)

Date: October 08, 2003 03:28PM

[Q]I'll give this to Varitek: If baseball is going to allow this, that play should be in Tom Emansky's next defensive drills video. It was a PERFECT block.[/Q]
He's one of the best around at blocking the plate. It may be "illegal" but so is leaning over the plate and getting hit by a pitch in the strike zone (well, that's not illegal, just a strike). varitek has mastered a play that the umpires allow.

Since Varitek didn't have the ball and was mostly set up in front of the plate, it wouldn't have made sense for Byrnes to just bowl him over (that might even have been called obstruction!). With the benefit of hindsight, maybe Byrnes should have slid wide and tagged the plate with his hand as he went by. Or just gotten up and tagged it later :-) Actually, the fact that Byrnes did hit Varitek's leg when sliding and was obviously a little shaken up (hobbling away) may have contributed to him not realizing he wasn't out and not going back to tag the base.

Date: October 08, 2003 03:29PM

[Q]in truth I live and die (mostly die) with the Pirates.[/Q]
I am so sorry...

Date: October 09, 2003 09:30AM

One pet peeve of mine is the lumping of a fan-base into one generalized entity: "All Yankee fans are cocky, arrogant, loudmouths" "All Red Sox fans are whiny losers." "All Dodger fans leave after the 7th innning." "All Colgate fans are drunken fratboys." "All Cornell fans swear every other word."

Pet peeve of mine as well. And I absolutely cannot stand when people on this forum constantly label obnoxious hockey fans or line-cutters or facetimers as frat boys. The fact that they are frat boys does not make them obnoxious, and frat boys are certainly not the only obnoxious people in the world. I agree that many of them are obnoxious, and because they are always in large quantities may make them stand out more, but please stop generalizing. Just as many of the obnoxious people are not in fraternities. Rich, you were in the band, you know how obnoxious we could be. While I'm at it, the whining about freshmen facetimers who don't know the "rules" of Lynah needs to stop. We were all freshmen at one point, and probably all clueless at one point as well. It's not really fair to say one person deserves a hockey ticket more than another. If a fan is willing to pay for them, he or she should be able to go. Ok, off my soapbox now, back to work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login