Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

forgotten cheer

Posted by CB 
forgotten cheer
Posted by: CB (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 10:04AM

I always loved during faceoffs when the groups of fans in the line of sight of the oppossing goalie would raise their hands and wave them around to distract him. Why isn't anyone doing this anymore?

Re: forgotten cheer
Posted by: BigRedIslander (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 10:38AM

I sit in B right behind the faceoffs. I haven't done it just because I thought it didnt do much to distract from the faceoff. Maybe just yelling really loud before the faceoff would help distract the other team. I'm always up for being loud nut

Posted by: French Rage (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 10:59AM

Oh, crap, I had completely forgotten about that (I'm in B)! I dunno, I guess the few people that usually started it graduated or aren't there or something; it's one of those things that if someone started others would eagerly join in. I'll try to get the poeple in B doing it again tonite and tomorrow.

Yea, BRI, sure it doesn't really distract them, but thats not the point. The point is that we're making the effort in hope of that magical one time where it does work (ala goalie cheers against Dartmouth).

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 11:12AM

Actually, from my experience, it seems the point is to piss off people trying to photograph or video tape the faceoffs :-D

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: November 22, 2002 11:30AM

Also, if one thinks about the physics *at all* one realizes the arm waving is stupid and pointless. This isn't a basketball game where the player is looking up at rim that is mounted on a glass backboard. Waving arms during a foul shot might make some sense given that you could argue that the motion will catch the player's eyes given our wiring. However, in my experience in competitive athletics, one learns to tune the audience right out, making me doubt it actually does anything.

But even if we assume that our neurobiology makes the arm waving useful, it still doesn't make sense in the context of a hockey game. During a faceoff, the players are looking down at the puck, which is below them. You are seated in the stands above the player. Unless the player is totally daydreaming, his eyes shouldn't be looking anywhere near you. Add to this the fact that the ice is bright while the stands are dark, I'd be shocked if the arm waving had any effect.

Of course, I could be wrong....

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: November 22, 2002 11:34AM

I'd been under the impression that the idea was to distract the goalie, not the player taking the faceoff. Not that I think it actually works...

Date: November 22, 2002 12:01PM

Josh Herman '99 wrote:

I'd been under the impression that the idea was to distract the goalie, not the player taking the faceoff. Not that I think it actually works...

Then why the fuck do people do it in B when our goalie is at that end of the rink....

Posted by: French Rage (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 12:04PM

Not every cheer has to have a scientificly proven reason to work. One's that that are for shits and giggles.

Arm waving
Posted by: Keith K (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 12:53PM

Because they are idiots, John. IMNSHO, the arm waving was always about annoying the opposing goalie and (I think) once upon a time (man I'm getting old) it wasn't done when our goalie was behind the faceoff. The fact that it almost never works doesn't really matter...

This is basically the same thing that happens with all cheers. When the fans think about what they're doing/cheering and do the cheers intelligently and creatively, the cheers are "effective" (in some sense, even if not really affecting the opponent). When cheers are blindly done as the thing to do, they are not "effective". I'm not just ripping on the current fans here - there was plenty of mindlessness (is that a word) years ago too.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 01:27PM

Re: Arm waving
Date: November 22, 2002 01:43PM

Took the words right outta my mouth, Keith. People do it when it's our goalie because people are dumb. (Or because they're sheep and are just following along with dumb people.)

Actually you also raise a good point about people blindly doing stuff like, say, my current pet peeve, the ridiculous love for "BEND OVER!". It works much better if you get the goalie's pre-faceoff routine down (especially guys who tap a lot like Mike Walsh) than if everyone just yells "BEND OVER!" as soon as the goalie's back in the crease. That's just dumb.
[/vent]

Date: November 22, 2002 01:45PM

Amen

Posted by: gwm3 (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 02:55PM

Well I sat in B for two years at the height of student stupidity, and I can't remember people doing it to our goalie. I always did it with the "intention" of distracting the opposing goalie (as futile as that might have been). Distracting the guy taking the faceoff never even occurred to me.

As for "bendover," I agree that it became largely overdone. The first person I remember it being done extensively to was Prestifilipo, who had a very set routine. I remember that being rather funny, but people continued to do it ad nauseum even when goalies gave no real reason to do so.

Posted by: Komorowski (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 03:58PM

On the note of a better cheer...how come no one seems to remind the opposing team that they still suck when they return to full strength after we kill off a power play. I personally enjoy this one celebrating our kill. Any ideas why this died out?

Posted by: mha (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 04:03PM

It died out because Arthur, and many other rink PA announcers, stopped announcing the end of the power play. (Arthur was asked to stop.)

If the announcer is no longer saying "___ returns to full strength," it's harder to shout in response, "And they still suck!" For a while, fans were trying to shout the first part themselves, but it just doesn't work as well.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 05:00PM

I had the seat in the front corner of B nearest the opposing goalie last year....always made it a point to do the arm waving thing. I never noticed any opposing players paying particular attention. Nor do I recall ever us scoring a goal off of the faceoff.

But I NEVER DID IT when Underhill or LeNeveu was at that end. Mostly then, people in the first couple rows would make fun of the opposing teams names (for those teams that were dumb enough to have names on travel jerseys). That part of the "cheering"/jeering was annoying at first, but it was possibily effective anyway.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---)
Date: November 22, 2002 05:13PM

Ahh, Prestifilipo.

Skate, skate, skate, tuuuuuuuuuuuuurn.

Skate, skate, skate, skate, tuuuuuuuuuuun.

Skate, skate, stop!

Bend over.

Date: November 22, 2002 05:56PM

[Q]But I NEVER DID IT when Underhill or LeNeveu was at that end[/Q]

Now Burt on the other hand... ;-) Just kidding.

I can't remember any quick goals off the faceoff in the time I sat in B. The closest thing I can remember to a goal off of the face off was Kozier's overtime goal in game one of the Princeton QF in '01. But I think that might have been on a faceoff from the other side... even if it wasn't, I'm sure the arm waving played no role.

But even if it serves no practical purpose I think it was still an ok "cheer."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 12:46AM

Heh. I still prefer Mike Walsh. (And we get to do his one more game.)

Skate, skate, skate, tuuuuuuurn.

Skate, skate, skate, stop.

Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.

Bend over.

That much tapping is asking for it, as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Making fun of names
Posted by: KeithK (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 12:20PM

> people in the first couple rows would make fun of the opposing teams
> names (for those teams that were dumb enough to have names on
> travel jerseys).

That's why you buy a program. They still have numbers.

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 02:07PM

[q]I can't remember any quick goals off the faceoff in the time I sat in B. The closest thing I can remember to a goal off of the face off was Kozier's overtime goal in game one of the Princeton QF in '01. But I think that might have been on a faceoff from the other side...[/q]

The most beautiful goal off a faceoff that I've ever seen at Lynah was from a face-off on the student side. Nov. 8, 1997, we were down 3-1 to Brown with 6:20 left in the game. Moynihan scored to make it 3-2 with 4:01 left, then during a stoppage with 1:25 left, Schafer pulled Elliott for the face-off in the Brown end on the Section B side. In a play that lasted literally three seconds from face-off to goal, Vinnie Auger won the face-off, and while the five other Big Red players got their sticks around the Brown sticks and held them in place as well as they could, Jason Dailey took the puck, skated a lovely little S-curve around them all and put the puck over Jeff Holowaty's shoulder to tie it at 3-3.

The rest is history, of course; Kyle Knopp scored the go-ahead with 1:02 left, and Brown pulled Holowaty, but to no avail. You don't see both teams pull their goalie in one game very often.

I don't ever remember the Faithful being louder in my fifteen years watching games there. Lord, I love remembering that game. And I don't even need "Live at Lynah" to do it.

Beeeej

Date: November 23, 2002 02:20PM

a) What's with all these people using the wrong kind of brackets? twitch

b) Isn't that interference? laugh

Posted by: Jeff Hardgrove '01 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 02:53PM

Okay...

And the most unfortunate goal off a faceoff...

1999-2000 season, glass seats, section D, harvard game, with harvard skating left to right. I took it upon myself to taunt their right defenseman who would set up 3 feet in front of me on offensive zone draws. On this particular face off the RD was future captain Peter (STAND UP!) Capouch, who late in the season only had two goals. Right before one draw I loudly reminded him of this fact, at which point the center cleanly won it back to Capouch who lit the lamp with a pretty little one timer. I'm pretty sure he just wanted to get his name on the loud speaker so I'd stop saying "ca-POOCH." So, I apologize, fortunately it wasn't a game deciding goal, although I lost some section D freinds that night...

And in reference to the waving cheer - it's clever, but I agree, useless - the centers are both busy staring at the little black disc in the linesmans hand, and then following it to the ice.

-Jeff

Interference, Brown comeback
Posted by: KeithK (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 03:21PM

As Pete Tufford said on the radio: the ref could've put five guys in the box on that play, and might have earlier in the game...

Posted by: mha (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 03:09PM

I think the volume of the last several minutes on January 30th, 1998 against Clarkson outdid it.

Rick Sacchetti went off on a five-minute major with seven minutes left, giving Clarkson five minutes of five-on-four to try to snap Cornell's 2-1 lead. The crowd was on its feet, and the roar was deafening, that whole five minutes. I called it "Red Thunder," and while I've been impressed with the volume for several seconds at a time, several times since, including this Friday night, nothing has come close.

(We held on to win.)

Posted by: jason (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 02:13AM

A treeee-mendous game. I too was in attendance for that comeback against Brown --in Section O. The sweetest part was the group of Brown fans --including a particularly loud mouthed girl-- in the row in front of my friends and I who seemed to spend more of the third period turned around talking smack to us than watching the actual game play. The look of disbelief/devastation on that girl's face as we celebrated the final moments of the game is indelibly marked in my memory. Good times...

On Cheering
Posted by: curoadkill (128.253.12.---)
Date: November 25, 2002 10:32AM

Three things:
-The "so and so returns to full strength they still suck" cheer was still around my freshman year after Arthur stopped announcing the end of power plays. I always thought it was something largely continued by the band. Once the band became athletics public enemy number one and the word suck was a mortal sin, the band couldn't say or lead it (or anything with the word suck in it for that matter) anymore and it died.

-I guess evolution of cheering is part of the oral tradition of the Lynah Faithful, but the way the "Remote Control Sieve" cheer as Rich H calls it(skate skate skate etc.) has changed over the past few years is a little sad. I've always thought it was much more effective to say what the goalie is doing when he is doing it. (e.g. when he pushes off with one foot "skate" then the next "skate" It's not a rhythmic thing.) It's far more effective to make him aware of his every tick and movement instead of tell him what to do. Walsh is a great example with sweeeeep, tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.
This evolution came to a new climax this weekend when all of the student section started chanting "bend over, bend over" in the second period in an attempt to make Yann bend over.
I think the idea is to get in the guy's head and this is best achieved by saying what he's doing. I remember back in fall 2000 I believe it was when we played Maine the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Morrisson came into Lynah and had a whole routine. We started saying everything he'd do. Then he started stopping midtream and changing things just to throw US off. A bone head play by him behind the net later it was a tie game.

-For the love of all things holy, at the end of Black Hole, say "you just suck" ONCE! If it ever happens again, you'll hear the incredible way it resonates in an otherwise silent rink. It's similar to how swanee can resonate without bone heads holding things out just to hear themselves yelling.

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 10:47AM

OK...again...as most of us realize, the point of the waving of the hands is clearly to distract the OPPOSING GOALTENDER. Back in my section B days, we always did it. Also...even if people are saying that they are trying to distract the opposing player taking the faceoff...if our goaltender is in net, you're going to be trying to distract OUR center...not theirs...

And...at least in warmups...you can definitely get the attention of the opposing players...don't underestimate how much they see you or pay attention. I've gotten a few stares...and almost a puck in the face...from opposing players...especially those Colgate guys...

Posted by: Adam '01 (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 10:53AM

I remember that Tuesday night game against Maine also. There's no doubt that we got into Morrisson's head and as I recall he tried to feebly knock the goal over on top of the puck as it sailed in for our lone goal. A desperate move, and who knows, if he had stuck to his normal routine instead of trying to throw THE CROWD off, he might have been in a better position to make the play.

Of course despite getting in his head, we only managed a tie.....so we all got to go home for Thanksgiving and kiss our sisters nut

Re: On Cheering
Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 02:33PM

Well, I've often said that the cheers of the Lynah Faithful are one of the last great examples of Oral Tradition in society, despite a few efforts to document them both online and with cheer-sheets. I've been going to games for over 10 years now, and have seen a good number of cheers evolve...some good, some bad. Whether you like them or not, the cheers are what they are. This thread sparked a few thoughts:

1. Strategically placed silence can be a powerful thing, especially with the reverb quality of the arena. But noise will always win over silence. Examples:
* "See ya!" the a-hole/goon tag was only used in deserved instances. Changed around '97 and was the source of much tension between the admin and student section. Led to the aux. police and pleas of coach Schafer to tone down the language. I think Michigan has had similar evolution since it was introduced to them in 1991.
* "You just suck!" (1 time only) after Black Hole.
* "DIE!" vs. "Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee" a recent battle, generally confined to the lower part of A, but could spread soon. Horrible.
* Screw BU. BU last came to Lynah in '93, and it was definitely "Screw BU, BU too" then. At Walter Brown last year, we managed to eventually get the word out in our section that it was to be "Screw BU" only. Having the band shorten the pause helps a lot.

2. The screaming/waving hands to distract the goaltender thing sorta started up around '95. I had a friend who wanted to do something, but couldn't think of anything, so he just pointed and screamed. B heard the screaming, and people added the waving hands. It was particularly funny on televised games, because it would totally block out the camera's view.

3. "Remote control" Changed because of D-F's love of the phrase "Bend over" It became an obsession. The amount of glee that the bending over brings to those sections is almost funny. Up until last year, A-B did the original, and D-F just demanded the "bend over" despite what the goaltender did. This year, the modified version is now in A-B. While I was in the band, we used to do the "remote control shovel guy" to control the actions of the rink staff member who had to clean up the zamboni droppings. "Shovel, scrape, walk, TOSS!" Sometimes even that guy would play with us to try to throw us off.

4. The "mom called" cheer seems to be now a solo performance with creative variations for someone in E or F. I try to hear it, but I'm at a bad angle, and sometimes he does it during an announcement, like on Saturday.

5. Even inflections change. "Frus-TRAAA-ted" has now morphed into "FRUUUS-trated." A little more awkward, but whatever.

6. Arthur wasn't saying "returns to full strength" as of '92-'93. The only rinks I went to that still did were Starr and the Syracuse Hockey Invitational Tournament (may it rest in hell).

7. Interesting to see the effect of "Live at Lynah." We came up with a few original cheers (embarrasment to hockey program...) and did some not-so-common ones (sieve spell-out), simply because there were microphones present, and they became regular cheers.

8. "Townies Up" used to be used only for very tense 1-goal games. Almost as if the students were asking for help to get that last goal or defensive stand. And the other sections did respond with much vigor and cheering. Doing it now for each and every 8-0 blowout makes it a little less special, and it's almost as if the seated sections are saying "uhhh, OK, we'll get up, I guess." Again, whatever.

Posted by: cquinn (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 02:52PM

The waving of hands to distract the goalie thing was around at least as early as '90-91 when I started attending games. I had seats in row 2 of Section A and it was very popular with the fans who were at eye level with the players.

"Your Mom called" used to be a staple, but I haven't heard it once this year. Maybe it was too hard for folks to leave out the relatively recent second verse. Does anyone ever ring the phone bell to kick it off anymore? Maybe we could get the whole section to set their cell phones off at once. :-P

Posted by: melissa'01 (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 02:54PM

i know that you were likely only joking - but that'd be really funny.

Date: November 25, 2002 02:57PM

Personally, the new enunciation of frustrated annoys me. I dunno why, it's just like they don't know how to do it, and I always loved the old way.

I'd try to fix it by starting one myself (but now we get to my biggest pet peeve recently) no one ever waits for anything. Someone by me tried to start a frustrated chant with the score 2-1 in the first during the Hahvahd (sucks) game (maybe early second). Everything comes to early now. The keys have often started at 5 minutes left, or at least a minute or two too early. Surprisingly, the chants of "put away the keys" did nothing at all. When (and not if, I'm afraid) it's a one goal game and someone brings out the keys, I'll be all over them.

The team's success, and the related surge in demand for tickets, seem to have changed the dynamics of Lynah, because you don't just have the diehards in B and a definite "faithful gradient" as you move away. When the last people to get tickets got there in the early AM hours, everyone's kinda mixed. As I mentioned once before, I know someone who was in B last year that's in F this year.

It hurts the crowd a little bit and it hurts the cheers. It's not gonna kill anything, but with an increased number of face timers and newbies scattered around, we're gonna see more of mis-enunciated chants and stupid things like the elongated diiieee.

If the success this year is even higher (if, if, no tempting of the fates here), I'm almost afriad for next year, when every damn kid of campus will want tickets, even if they've never seen a game. I've heard a lot about Minn fans bitching - someone who had tickets for all 3 years couldn't get tickets this year because all the fair-weather, bandwagon fans . I know Schafer loves his camp-out philosphy, but in an era like this, you don't get the desired effect. You don't get the most diehard fans, just the ones with the fewest classes.

-Fred

Posted by: curoadkill (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 03:28PM

Furthermore, my sincere gratitude to whoever it was standing in the middle of B who felt it necessary to start winning team in the middle of a play with 3:40 left in a 4 goal game. Encore, Encore.

Posted by: melissa'01 (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:21PM

warning - this is a rant.

I agree about the new frustrated. sounds like crap and i can't stand it. way too many people (obviously newbies) were doing inappropriate cheers at inappropriate times. when before have we been chanting "grade inflation" from beginning to end in a Harvard game? it makes it common and less funny. also - what happened to the pass/ fail saved for brown whenever we are winning at the end of the 3rd? that has been the tradition the last few years. also - "go stat the cah" (or however you want to spell it) was by far the lesser chanted vs Harvard. yet another comical cheer reserved for one team that will be lost if the newbies can't be taught ( i realize, that to many, i myself am still a newbie and that some of the cheers many previous grads view as classic i have unknowingly played some kind of part in changing. it doesn't change the fact that it sucks tho.). i also miss the "your mom called" cheer that is now seemingly absent, as Chris pointed out. it was overused for awhile but it is still funny. i am sorry but you "DIEEEEEEE" people are horrid. horrid. horrid. and there is really only suppossed to be one you just suck in the vacuum cheer.

end of rant

what has always made lynah so special and unique hasn't been the cheers - it has been the unison in which they were chanted - the whole student body together as one HUGE and BOOMING voice. It seems as if that has been lost and I, for one, am sad about that. It was really special.

on a bright note - there seems to be less of the XXXX sucks over and over and over again this year.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:33PM

Fred, I agree with you on all points. I actually said during the Brown game "If this is what Lynah is like this year, next year is going to be terrible." My new HUGE hatred. . .those GD horns that are showing up more and more at every home game, I want to break them all. So f'ing annoying!!! :-( :-(

(step off soap-box and exist stage left)

Posted by: judy (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 07:19PM

care to join me in shoving those things up the owners' asses?

it's lynah. use your voice. I'm sure all of us on this forum end up with no voices after games...it's only fair. anyways...a noisemaker...that's a little wimpy isn't it?

Date: November 25, 2002 09:15PM

I am blanking on specifics here, but there was definitely a game last year where the opposing team scored while section D was shaking their keys at them with far too much time left in the game. Section B gave them a nice "it's all your fault."

As for "winning team," we rarely had a lead big enough to justify doing this before the end of the game during my Lynah days. Does it follow the same formula used for keys? And I guess there is usually a designated individual to start it (i.e. British Dave from the Band in recent years).

Posted by: The Turkeybone (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 09:39PM

"Winning team" guy has been a band member the past couple of years, and it gets passed on to a different person each time around.

You know, I thought the cow-bell was supposed to be passed around too, but I guess once you get a license plate, it's official rolleyes

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 10:20PM

The cowbell has usually been inherited, which is different from "passed around." And Age is still around, so there's no reason for someone to inherit it.

I imagine he probably feels similarly about his cowbell to the way certain PA announcers feel about their microphones. :-D

Beeeej

P.S. The "winning team" cheer actually used to be an honor reserved for the person first in the ticket line at the beginning of that season. It's only been "passed around" or inherited since that position ceased to be a really notable distinction.

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: November 26, 2002 01:08PM

In the 2000-2001 home game against Clarkson, the friend that I brought to the game decided when we were leading 2-0 with a little less than four minutes to go that it was time to whip out the keys. Clarkson scored shortly thereafter, snapping the shutout. While our boys did win the game, I still remind my friend to this day not to mock the hockey gods with premature keyshaking. rolleyes

Cowbell
Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---)
Date: November 26, 2002 01:23PM

Actually...I can talk to my good friend (and brother) Jamie Weber who did it before Age...buuuuuttt...

As far as the cowbell is concerned...

The cowbell was actually done and inherited within the brotherhood of AEPi for a number of years during the 90's and it was supposed to stay within the fraternity. Upon graduation, Jamie had passed the bell down to another junior member of the fraternity who would be around for a few years to carry on the tradition. Unfortunately, his choice wasn't such a good one as both his sense of rhythm and attendance at hockey games faltered. This is when Age stepped up to the plate...thankfully. It would have been nice to see it remain within the fraternity...but Age has done a great job.

Now...Age...I have a challenge for you...you need to pull off the DOUBLE play...because his Senior year, Jamie actually was BOTH the bell guy AND one of the skating bears!!!

Re: Cowbell
Date: November 26, 2002 01:29PM

Feh!

Have you ever seen Age skate.....

Date: January 21, 2003 10:55AM

...says the "put me in goal so I can do my best tripod impression" guy. I'll go out on a limb and say I can outskate you.

As for the cowbell situation, I'm sort of getting used to taking shit about it a couple times a year. To be honest, I'd be happy to pass it on if there were actually someone worth passing it on to. I will not duplicate Jamie's mistake. My successor needs to be around for at least two years, preferably more, not be completely arrhythmic, and go to a few away games dammit. No, I don't expect them to make it to 113 (and counting) ECAC games in a row, but a little effort to make it to the closer road trips isn't that much to ask. So far, I haven't found anyone to fit the bill. Unless you have something more constructive to contribute, Turkeybone, put a sock in it.

Date: January 21, 2003 10:59AM

Jason Demby '99 wrote:

Now...Age...I have a challenge for you...you need to pull off the DOUBLE play...because his Senior year, Jamie actually was BOTH the bell guy AND one of the skating bears!!!

Besides, I've pretty much always done the cowbell with camcorder/camera in my face and (for a year anyway) webcam *sniff* duties. They keep me sufficiently busy.

Date: January 21, 2003 11:01AM

Jason Demby '99 wrote:

Jamie had passed the bell down to another junior member of the fraternity who would be around for a few years to carry on the tradition.
Umm... Wasn't he gone after the year he started doing it?

(sorry, I'm catching up on old posts)

Date: January 21, 2003 11:46AM

CowbellGuy wrote:

(sorry, I'm catching up on old posts)
Two months old, in fact. Holy non sequitur, Batman! :-P

Date: January 21, 2003 11:56AM

Pretty much didn't read anything over the holidays and I make it a point to read all the posts :-D

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: January 21, 2003 11:59PM

ok so a couple of things...
sorry if i skipped any of the above messages.

we used to do the arm waving to distract the goalie in B and D when I sat in those sections (senior(2000)/junior years respectively). i just found it fun to be loud and such. who cares if it works. :-)

I agree about the need to actually describe what the goalie is doing when doing the robot goalie cheer. There is nothing like yelling at a goalie to finish his routine when he is trying to stop to not satisfy the crowd. i forget which goalie but one of the goalies toyed with the crowd when it came to drinking the water bottle. was it the infamous goalie who also left his net to taunt the crowd when he thought his team had scored? not sure.

i think that is all :-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 01:27AM

The cowbell is fine with Age. I say bring back the damn washboard. For anybody who remembers it (a dramatic lead in to establish a Specteresque Wall fo Noise -- well -- scratching, several full beats prior to the bell entering), it was VERY cool. I believe Arthur knows exactly how to do it.

Date: January 22, 2003 09:09AM

Except with the new fast faceoffs I've usually gotta start right at the whistle and haul ass through it to finish in time for the faceoff.

Posted by: Adam '01 (205.217.105.---)
Date: January 22, 2003 09:41AM

jy3, I believe you're talking about Nick Boucher....that cocky bastard from Dartmouth. The game was January 24th, 2000. See article below:

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 12:37PM

yep i know boucher vacated the net during that game but i wonder if he was the water bottle man too.:-P

Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 01:22PM

I seem to remember Maine's Mike Morrison having a great deal of fun with the crowd, and specifically, the remote control cheer. Not only did he purposely break his skating routine, but also feigned water-drinking. He went as far as waving his finger at B in a "tsk-tsk" manner when someone would mess up. That game ended in a 1-1 tie on Nov. 21, 2000.

Date: January 22, 2003 01:25PM

Much to the delight of the [rather small Thanksgiving week] Lynah crowd, our goal in that game was scored on a horrible gaffe by Morrison (falling down behind the net, IIRC).

Posted by: Adam '01 (205.217.105.---)
Date: January 22, 2003 01:39PM

Yeah, I see to remember Morrison trying (from behind the net) to knock the net over on top of the puck as it slid in. The crowd certainly let him have it for being out of position.

Posted by: crodger1 (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 02:13PM

I was in E that year... I don't think I have seen a more seemingly relaxed goalie in a while. I was greatly amused by his process of prepping the crease before the start of the 2nd period; he seemed to be just dancing away to the music as he scraped up the ice surface.

He certainly seemed to like the remote control thing a lot. Of couse, that was back when the crowd knew more than the current three options (skate, turn, bend-over.... bend-over... bend-over... bend-over). Is it really remote control if you have to yell "bend-over" 8 times? Talk about boring snore

LGR!

Remote control
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 03:43PM

Yeah, can we work on that this weekend? Matt Walsh of Clarkson has a great goalie tick where he taps the posts about 500 times per game: "tap, tap, tap, tap..."

Re: Remote control
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 04:12PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Matt Walsh of Clarkson has a great goalie tick where he taps the posts about 500 times per game: "tap, tap, tap, tap..."
We may not see Mike Walsh this weekend. Dustin Traylen has played their last three games.

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 04:31PM

You think Clarkson would dare to start their second string goalie against the #4 team in the country, particularly since Walsh is a fairly good goalie himself? I don't think so. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we'll see Walsh in net this weekend.

Re: Remote control
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 05:32PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

We may not see Mike Walsh this weekend.
That'll show me for not looking it up. I was just proud that I remembered his name wasn't Shawn or Joe. nut

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 22, 2003 09:24PM

I'll never claim to understand the goalie rotation process at Clarkson--even with the departure of Mark Morris--but it isn't clear to me that there is a "first" and "second" string goalie right now.

Both Walsh and Traylen have played 300 minutes in ECAC games. Walsh is 3-2 and Traylen 2-2-1. Traylen is a highly-touted frosh--much like LeNeveu was last year. As best as I can read between-the-lines of game recaps and comments on the Clarkson Round Table, their interim coach is now in a pattern of playing one goalie until he loses, and then going with the other. So...Walsh losing to us (on what the Clarkson folks call a "soft" goal) three weekends ago gives Traylen a shot and he wins two the following weekend (including a shut-out), but then loses to SLU last weekend. If that pattern continues, we'll see Walsh on Friday--but not because Traylen is "second string." Whether one's better than the other...I'll leave that to their coach.

Date: January 23, 2003 08:16AM

Walsh's career stats vs. Cornell:

1-5-0, 3.16, 0.860

If Traylen is the hot hand, it doesn't seem all that unreasonable to think that he might start tomorrow

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: January 23, 2003 01:13PM

[q]their interim coach is now in a pattern of playing one goalie until he loses, and then going with the other.[/q]

Okay, I didn't know that, my bad. All I know is that, according to USCHO, Walsh has the fourth lowest GAA in NCAA hockey (using their 33% of a team's games minimum). Even if Walsh has a losing record against Cornell, given that should Clarkson be able to sweep the weekend, they might move up to fourth in the conference, I'd think they would want to play their very good and highly experienced (Walsh is a senior, I believe) goalie. If Traylen is that good, he'll get his chance(s) to take on the Big Red next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login