Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Princeton (Friday)

Posted by Greg Berge 
Cornell vs Princeton (Friday)
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 08, 2002 06:55PM

Instead of the game, the Cornell feed is some funky Euro-synth trash so far.

Re: Cornell vs Princeton (Friday)
Date: February 08, 2002 06:57PM

Ok, that's better.

Posted by: Christine Quinn '94 (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 06:57PM

Grady's coming through on Hockeycam, but it's quite garbled.

Prn 0 at Cor 0, before game
Date: February 08, 2002 07:00PM

Why aren't you there this weekend, Christine?

Stathos v. Underhill tonight.

Re: Prn 0 at Cor 0, before game
Posted by: Greenberg (---.tau.ac.il)
Date: February 08, 2002 07:04PM

Is there a live chat anymore, or is this the closest thing?

Date: February 08, 2002 07:06PM

There is a chat, but I don't have details (it is always way ahead of some of us).

Posted by: Christine Quinn '94 (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 07:08PM

Thought I should spend at least one full Friday between January and April at work. Although by 2pm I remembered that working on Friday afternoon really sucks. :-P I'll be at all the games from here on out.

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.sonomatech.com)
Date: February 08, 2002 07:26PM

I finally have hockeycam working!!! I'm so excited...after months of trying, I got it going. Wish I could've had it last weekend, but oh well. In response to the chat question....irc.warped.net #lynah. You can use an irc chat server or go to www.irc.warped.net. But neither works if you are behind a firewall.

Posted by: jkahn (---.dsl.chi.megapath.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 07:28PM

I'm currently in soundless environment. Any game reports would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: February 08, 2002 07:38PM

Cornell 1, Princeton 0 after one period. Despite the score, Cornell did not carry the play in the first period.

Brian McMeekin scored his first goal of the season. Mike Iggulden and Ryan Vesce got assists.

Date: February 08, 2002 07:55PM

Matt McRae puts us up 2-0!

Date: February 08, 2002 08:02PM

Kozier. 3-0!

Posted by: Gabe Heafitz '98 (---.peoplesoft.com)
Date: February 08, 2002 08:05PM

WOW. Sounds like we're GOING HOUSE on 'em tonight.

By the way...

(singing)

Princeton's in New Jer-sey, Princeton's in New Jer-sey...

:-D

Date: February 08, 2002 08:06PM

With McMeekin's goal, Charlie Cook is now the only regularly playing non-goalie with 0 goals. (Ben Wallace also has 0 goals, but has appeared in just 5 games so far).

Date: February 08, 2002 08:16PM

Francis 4-1!

Posted by: Mike Illich (---.pntiac01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 08:26PM

BIG DAVID FRANCIS TOOK IT HOME WITH THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GOAL OF THE LAST 10 YEARS OF BIG RED HOCKEY!

Posted by: Mike Illich (---.pntiac01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 09:10PM

Hornby, THE LOOSE BISCUIT, makes it 5-1

Date: February 08, 2002 09:13PM

1 point each for 12 different players tonight (McMeekin, Iggulden, Vesce, Matt McRae, Murray, Kozier, Downs, Francis, Wieckowski, Bell, Hornby, Palahicky).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 10:07PM

Solid effort up and down the roster. Need it again tomorrow night against Old Eli.

Posted by: mjh40 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 11:54PM

Great game, solid effort for at least the last fifty-five minutes. The first five took some shaking of the cobwebs, but we pulled through and looked great. In some praise though for the P-ton team, while the color guard was finishing their formation/salute/march off the ice with the flags, Princeton stayed at the blue line at attention. Showed some real class. Now, on to Yale.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 12:27AM

so any more thoughts from 2nite?
i didnt listen to the game.
be there sat though!

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 12:48AM

Wow, so from reading what I could about tonite's game, our offense is really going now. Guys like Matt McRae and Kryzsztof Wieckowski seem to be coming alive again this year. Great job tonite...hopefully, tomorrow night will be equally successful. Next two games (Yale, Dartmouth) will probably be pretty good games...only two teams left that we haven't yet beaten this year...

go red!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:21AM

After a slow start (other than his two goals at BU), Matt McRae's been on fire lately. Definitely great to see him get it going.

McMeekin's goal was set up by an amazing individual effort by Iggulden, drove towards the net along the goal line then put a beauty of a pass out into the slot, McMeekin had a lot of net to shoot at and didn't miss.

Hornby's late goal was another one of those that makes you think he's got potential to develop into a very good offensive player into the next two years. I'm drawing a blank on the lead-in right now, but the shot itself was a pretty backhand over Stathos's shoulder.

As far as team defense goes, we may have given up a few more scoring chances than normal, but Underhill was great, stopping 27 of 28 if I recall correctly.

Our penalty kill was great, but Princeton's power play (Rated an "F-" by the Daily Sun) wasn't going to be much of a challenge anyway, I don't think. Power play came up empty, but looked good.

Not the best game they played all year (the game against Harvard last weekend might have been that), but more than enough to beat Princeton, in any case.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 10:08AM

The C-train rolls on. Hope I can listen tonight. Hold that #1 spot, Lenny!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 10:25AM

Not to disagree much, as we did win, but I think the best results out of this game is that we can win when we don't play particularly well. Let's face it aside from some great goaltending we could have been down 2-0, 3-0 at the end of the first period. To be up 1-0, well, I think it shows that the team is solid in all 3 parts of the game. When the offense and defense suffers as they did early on, our goaltending can carry us.

As for goaltending, Underhill played his best game of the season, of those I've seen, IMHO. If he continues like that, he may play the playoffs, sorry I openned up that can again.

Princeton is terrible, based upon this game. We will need to be alot better later, but we won a game we should have, when we didn't play our best. Hopefully we will not fall down to the level of our ECAC competition.

Terrible English, but I was an engineer and don't have time to rewrite it.

Posted by: Adam Ganderson (---.syr.edu)
Date: February 09, 2002 10:36AM

This was the first home game I'd been to since I left cornell a couple of years ago, and despite reading about it on the forum, I was still unprepared for how quiet Lynah was. There was frequently dead silence while everyone watched the play.
Now it may have been like this when I was at CU and the intervening years have made Lynah into a wall of noise in my mind, but I don't think so. I'm not saying that you guys going to games now suck, or telling anyone what to do differently. It was just kinda startling.
I was impressed that just about everyone, townie and facetimer alike, stayed to the very end of the game. I always hated when we had a sure victory, and people would start emptying out with 1 or 2 minutes to rescue their precious jeep grand cherokees from the impending traffic jams...
But back to hockey, something that hasn't shown up in this discussion so far is that Princeton showed some great puck handling skills, and set up some beautiful scoring opportunities. We just shut them down anyway. :) And Princeton (sucks) did show a good deal of class.

And how about that "non-goal." Age, did you check (and/or burn) the tapes yet?

Great to be back to Lynah, and LETS GO RED! Beat down Yale!

Posted by: marty'74 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 10:36AM

Boo-hoo. I can't listen and I can't watch because I will be at the Little Red Freak Out it Troy, NY. I normally pass on this but tonight it will be Clarkson at RIP and it is out of character for the RIP folks to schedule a worthy opponent for the Freakout.

Here's a trivia question. When did RIP start scheduling patsies for the Freakout???

B-]

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 12:36PM

I'm not sure where everyone is seeing all of this great defense. There was no defense played in the first period, and if Underhill had been merely good it would've been at least 3-1. If Princeton had anybody who could put the puck in the net, and Underhill had been merely good, it would've been more like 5-1. Seriously.

Cornell came out strong in the second period, but there were still a *lot* of bad giveaways in the D-zone and neutral zone, and nobody was standing up the offensive players. The defense, by both teams, was just soft. Cornell did make some good defensive plays, and I thought Hornby (among others) played very well all night (on both ends), but there were a lot of mistakes.

Thankfully, Princeton is not a good hockey team, and Underhill stood on his head. If Cornell plays like this against Yale, the 7 game win streak *will* end, and it could be ugly.

Schafer wasn't too happy with the way they played. He called it "sloppy" (he actually said something like "it was the sloppiest game we've played all season";), and I think that pretty much sums it up.

Kudos to Princeton. They're not good, but they were worlds better than the team I saw over winter break, and they were generally classy and hardworking.

Here's hoping it was just something in the stars last night, and Cornell can come out and play the way they played last weekend. Beat Yale!

Hornby
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:48PM

As Grady said about Hornby: he knows his role on this team is to dish out the hits but he was a solid goal scorer before Cornell and has offensive skills.

Re: Hornby
Posted by: Graham '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:57PM

From my vantage point in Section B it looked like Princeton definitely had a second goal. Anybody get a better look at that and see why it was waved off?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:59PM

Adam Ganderson wrote:

And how about that "non-goal." Age, did you check (and/or burn) the tapes yet?
I haven't seen a clip of it, but from where I was standing (5th row A, almost on the goal line), it was the correct call. The shot was taken from the right side of the net, hit the right post, skidded along the goal line to the left post, hit the left post and bounced out, and was covered by Underhill. No way the whole puck was over the line.

Re: Hornby
Posted by: AdamGanderson (---.syr.edu)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:15PM

FWIW the goal light never went on, so it wasn't strictly speaking waved off, it just wasn't a goal as far as the little man behind the goal who decides such things was concerned.

Posted by: jms89 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:26PM

In support of Josh's analysis I will add that I was in Section O Row 4 Seat 5 and that puck did not cross the line. Everyone around me immediately yelled "No Goal" and I didnt hear any of the Princeton fans complaining.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:30PM

Tom Lento wrote:

I'm not sure where everyone is seeing all of this great defense.

Sorry Tom, but I just read through this thread and nobody complimented Friday's defense. Everyone pretty much agrees that we made a lot of defensive mistakes against Princeton that a better team would've cashed in on. They missed about 3 opportunities for odd-man rushes and at least one breakaway in the first period alone, and then there was that wide-open breakaway they had set up in the 2nd, only to see the puck either slide off sticks to the corner or get tangled in their own footwork. Like I said, we would've been in big trouble if we were playing a better team.

So immediately after the uscho story about how our goaltenders rarely have to make great saves and you rarely notice their play...we play a game where Underhill had to come up huge. He did. That was the most he's had to work probably since the BU game. To his credit, Stathos also made 2 impressive saves in the final 5 minutes.

Where the defense could've let us down, the offense picked us up. After the first goal was created from the corner by a great play by Iggulden, the last 4 goals were all transition goals where we had speed at the blue line entering our zone. Really pretty plays all of them. I thought Krzysztof's deke and pass to Francis was terrific. And what can you say about Hornby's moves on his goal?! Wow. twitch He hits hard folks, but lately he's shown he can handle the puck too.

The defense was definitely off. Coming off 4 straight games where the defense was the best I've ever seen from a Red team (Harvard-Brown was just a dominant defensive performance...a clinic), I guess we can allow it, as long as they get it back. Coach seemed unhappy with the performance judging from the post-game comments. And when you consider that we're unhappy with an effort that resulted in a 5-1 win...things are still pretty good.

With a win over Yale, Cornell can open up a 6-point lead if Clarkson wins...and a 7 point lead if Clarkson ties or loses. Wow. LGR!

Posted by: mjh40 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 05:37PM

Maybe it was my lack of depth perception, but just being six seats towards B and two rows down, I could have swore it crossed the plane and came back. Murphy definately wasn't in any position to see it though, at least three guys in his sight line. I'll defer judgement in this case to the guy in the booth, especially when it's in our favor. LGR!

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 05:49PM

I think I was responding to one of the posts just before mine with the "great defense" comment. Now that I look at it, great defense wasn't implied, so I retract that statement. I thought (and still think) that some of the earlier posts gave Cornell too much credit for a well-played game. The lesser team lost, but that's about all you can say.

I think it was just an off night. Some of those mistakes were just plain weird - I probably wouldn't have noticed them on most teams, but since Cornell usually plays such tight defense it was painfully evident last night. Also, I suspect that the team will be pretty pumped up to stick it to Yale tonight.

Yikes! 5:45! I must eat!

Posted by: Ivyman (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 11:21AM

:-D When they first started it!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login